Hot Springs Grandee Subpanel question

I recently was given an older Hot Springs Grandee Hot tub in good shape. My existing 220volt connection is a typical Square D 50amp subpanel that has ran my previous hot tub for years. When I went to connect my HS Grandee I came across mention that I actually needed a special subpanel from HS (a 20amp and 30amp breaker setup). Upon checking into it that panel is $600+. That isn't in the budget. My question is: Is there any way to SAFELY use the panel I have? Maybe put in a 20amp and 30amp GFI breakers or something else? Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

18 hours ago, teardropty said:

My question is: Is there any way to SAFELY use the panel I have? Maybe put in a 20amp and 30amp GFI breakers or something else?

Yep, that's correct - Hotspring Hot tubs utilize two breakers - if you have an existing subpanel you can grab a 20 amp and 30 amp breaker and wire it up.   Be sure to study the wiring diagram on the hot tub thoroughly.   Many novice electricians mistakenly wire up a Hotspring tub like a standard hot tub and it doesn't work correctly (but they often try to wire up to a single 50-amp breaker - unlike you who actually did your research first lol)

Thanks for the replies. So I am understanding this correctly, as long as my existing subpanel will accept it, I can break down the 220v/50amp double pole feed coming into the subpanel, down into 1 - 20amp 110v single pole GFCI breaker and 1 - 30amp 110v single pole GFCI breaker? Am I thinking of that correctly? Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I ma trying to connect my Grandee with the 76858 50/60 heater relay board to a 2 wire 230volt system using a 20 and 30 GFCI. This does not have the white 110 neutral wire, only a neutral and a 230 volt hot. I am looking for the proper connection. I believe it will be found on the install sheet for the 76858 board. Thanks!

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...