Hot Tub Leak from Union

Alber36

When I reconnected my unions a week ago and refilled my hot tub I noticed there was a small leak from one of the unions. I tried tightening it but it still continues to leak. See photo. What is the best way to ensure this no longer leaks? It seems as if the water is coming out above the union (see arrow in photo). Thanks in advance!

8DD3E15A-6232-4997-8CF8-0E818ACF8CFA.jpeg

It doesn’t seem like there is a groove for this gasket to fit into, the union is flat. Is there something else that should butt up against the ring? See pics. I placed it regardless and it is still leaking a drop every few seconds. Thanks again!

E34BD255-656D-41FF-A504-1FD53671EBB7.jpeg

FD551062-C11F-4A07-A14C-118E0A851B2E.jpeg

2E482E8F-75E1-4CAA-A141-06D440756625.png

I can't see much either, pictures are too small. Sounds like you must use a flat gasket there.  Maybe source out a slightly-thicker gasket; I don't know if Permatex Aviation (brown goo) will help there.

Question: how are you tightening that big white nut - just by hand? Because you might need more torque to tighten it a tad more.  I might suggest a rubber strap wrench, or what comes in handy for me is ViceGrips 12LC.

ViseGrips 12LC.jpg

• Thanks 1

Is there damage to the thread on the pump? Kinda looks off on the right side in the photo but could just be the lighting/angle. You can get a 2" flat gasket without the rib to fit the channel. Very odd if there is no spot for an o-ring/gasket. If you feel that the gasket seal is good and the fitting is tight but it still leaks I would try a 2 piece 2" pump union split nut. Just lift the old coupler up out of the way and attach the split nut union. You can cut the old one off later or just leave it. 

https://www.spadepot.com/Pump-Union-Split-Nut---2-P7835C717.aspx

• Thanks 1