Chemicals Sourcing

Rask

Hello, I am a brand new hot tub owner!

As I purchase all these different chemicals by Leisure Time, it occurs to me that they are might be very basic chemicals like chlorines, acids, bases, etc.   So I was wondering if it is possible to source these from chemical suppliers rather than spa retailers.  

Case in point:  My dealer did not include a solution for cleaning the filter.  I found that Leisure Time sells a 32oz bottle of filter cleaner on Amazon for $23. Each use (every two weeks) is 16oz so that is a $23 bottle every month just for cleaning the filter.  

Leisure Time 56 Chlorine Granules are $80 for 5lbs.  I have no idea how long this will last me, but if one knew the concentration (56%) and dosing, it seems like a much less expensive alternative could be found.  After all, my hot tub manufacturer says to dissolve the granules in water before adding to the tub to prevent blistering.  So why not use a less expensive chlorine liquid?

Chlorine liquid (sodium hypochlorite) is not that stable over time.  Pool liquid chlorine is typically about 10% active, bleach for laundry is about 5% active.

I have a 22-year-old above-ground pool and 33-year-old backyard spa. These have vinyl liner and acrylic/fiberglass and therefore pH drops over time (opposite of a plaster pool). Instead of pool/Home Depot sodium bicarbonate I use Arm & Hammer baking soda, same and cheaper.  I use pH Up (sodium carbonate) from Home Depot.  I buy 1" bromine tablets locally (so far) and 3" chlorine tablets locally too, shop by price.  I have purchased monopersulfate shock online for the spa (cheaper) and powdered chlorine shock online too.

For the times I have needed stronger caustic to raise pH in the pool, I have used 100% sodium hydroxide crystals from Ace Hardware, sold as root killer  https://www.acehardware.com/departments/plumbing/drain-openers/drain-cleaners/4239216

As an algae preventative for the pool, I have purchased Zep Root Kill (copper sulfate crystals) from Home Depot.