100% PIF before delivery..is this really the industry standard??

We put 50% down and ordered a Hot Springs spa last August it has come in for delivery and the hot tub dealer is asking for 100% paid in full (the other 50%) before they will deliver. I balked at  this and said I would be willing to pay everything but hold back $1000(85% pif) be given to them day of delivery after everything is hooked up and insured everything is functional. This raised holy hell on the dealers end and he is calling me very  unreasonable this is not the industry standard.  etc. etc. Obviously this is not the type of response I expected with what I consider to be a very reasonable request and raises some serious red flags about us continuing with this purchase. I too am a business owner and never would I expect customers to pay for 100% of a product or service not yet performed or delivered until it is. I am about ready to walk out on the deal and then will have to fight him for a return of the 50% already down paid but I’m curious what you all think.  Is it truly industry standards require 100% paid in full  before delivery? I really do consider myself to be a reasonable person but the inflammatory response by this dealer right off the bat has really put a sour taste on this whole experience unfortunately.

I don't know about Hot Springs dealers but my Artesian dealer asked for 25% up front at time of order and the balance was due upon completion of delivery and installation. Cash, check or CC were acceptable forms of payment at delivery.

So, It's definitely not a 100% industry standard.

Mine also asked for the balance the day before delivery.  I thought about doing a hold back of $1K to make sure they did everything right, but in the end I just paid as I had waited nearly a year for the tub.  I did pay with a credit card though instead of cash so I could request a chargeback or dispute.  Everything worked out fine in my case.  

I'd be put off by that as well. But I can see from their end, they likely get a lot of deadbeats who they have to chase for final payment. And once its installed, getting it back is not going to be easy (or profitable). Sign of the times I guess.

Thanks for the replies. I think the biggest thing is just the overall lack and complete disregard for customer respect. The person that called was simply the scheduler for delivery and I get it he can’t make that call to change their “policy“ but it was the next guy and self titled  manager who was a complete jerk wad. I won’t repeat everything that came out of his mouth but it was unfathomable in my 42 years of walking this earth that I would ever be spoken to by someone the way he did. The way things stand right now he refuses delivery I said cancel the order he of course says there’s no refunds.
Reading carefully through the contract nowhere does it say that I have to pay 100% before delivery nor does it mention no canceled orders allowed. Thankfully on my end I put the 50% down on our Citi Visa card and after calling them they 100% are in agreement on my side and are back charging the dealer and have given me a credit so big kudos to them.  It’s really unfortunate as we have been waiting eight months for this delivery but if they treat me this way before the deal was closed, I can’t imagine it will be better after they have the money. I have never left a negative review on Google or social media but this one might be my first.

I guess back to shopping we go if not a Hot Spring maybe Sundance?

16 hours ago, Bassfisher22 said:

after everything is hooked up and insured everything is functional.

this is not the industry standard

Is it truly industry standards require 100% paid in full  before delivery?

PIF prior to delivery is completely normal. As the largest 3rd party hot tub delivery service in North America we have delivered almost 50,000 hot tubs since 2002. We do deliveries for most of the major retailers and MFGs in our area. We don't pick up cheques/cash We don't fill it We don't hook up electrical We don't take the packaging and we don't schedule a delivery until full payment to the dealer/MFG has been made. Sorry your dealer has handled things this way but if this was a concern it should have been made clear when the sale was made.

• Like 1

As a dealer, I require 25% down to order and final balance is due upon delivery.  I will collect cash/check on delivery and will take credit card information prior to delivery and charge once delivery has been completed.  

While I will not condone or defend another dealers policy, it is up to each dealer how they handle final payment.  

I have had a few instances where customers didn’t want to pay in full until the hot tub was actually hooked up and running and in those instances I did allow to leave a $500 balance open.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, castletonia said:

I have had a few instances where customers didn’t want to pay in full until the hot tub was actually hooked up and running and in those instances I did allow to leave a $500 balance open.

I kinda get that the dealer is using a third party to deliver and this is why they want payment up front, but I think this is a reasonable solution.  It's too bad the OP could not come to this kind of agreement with their dealer.