Chlorine - Free Oxidizer Other Ingredients?

MnBdub1981

I apologize if this question has already been covered on this forum. I was just reading the label on the Leslie's FRESH N CLEAR SPA OXIDIZING SHOCK and it's 38% Potassium Peroxymonosulfate and 62% other ingredients. Does anyone else wonder or know what the other ingredients are or do I just need to learn to relax about these chemicals? Also, if there is a favorite Chlorine -Free Oxidizing Shock that is a good value out there,  I would be interested in what some of you recommend. Thanks.

22 hours ago, RDspaguy said:

Probably additives to make it shelf stable. 

I do not recommend non-chlorine shock. Is there some reason you are using it?

Master Spas recommends using a non-chlorine shock (oxidizer shock) as needed in their Water Care Guide if free chlorine is less than total chlorine.

I have not had time to learn about the dichlor/bleach method yet but I will. After purchasing my tub I realized that if I ask 100 people how to maintain a hot tub, I will get 100 completely different answers. There are two Canadians that started a Youtube channel and website called Hot tub University that out of all the content out there I liked the best. They talk about oxidizing shock at the 27:12 min mark of this youtube video. I would love to know your thoughts on this video. Thanks

Sorry buddy, I am a volunteer with limited time to devote to this forum and am not watching a video. 

There are many variations on a few basic methods of maintaining spa water. Mps (non-chlorine shock) is an oxidizer that does not raise free chlorine to eliminate combined chlorine, and in theory should be used if a shock is needed immediately before use to avoid the high chlorine level that results from shocking with chlorine. The problem is that many more people have adverse reactions to mps than chlorine. Search this forum for "rash" and you'll see. And mps in the water will throw off other readings, such as chlorine and ph, leading to more problems if over-used.

Masters spas, and all spa manufacturers, simply repeat what chemical manufacturers say. They do not make or test chemicals. Chemical manufacturers sell chemicals, and recommend every product they make, needed or not. 

Masters spas usually have an ozone generator on a 24/7 circulation system, and ozone is a much stronger oxidizer than mps. With ozone, you should not have any cc buildup, and will see dropping fc levels.