Cant keep bromine level.

Otherbarry

Hello I'm looking for someone's opinion on what to do. My hot tub is just over two months old and I use bromine granules as a sanitizer. I live in canada so I had no salt starter and my warranty for the spa states I cannot use a floater. I was doing ok for about 2 months and these past 2 weeks have been bad as I cannot keep bromine in the spa for 24 hours even after shocking with about 25gs the level has been 0 the next day.  The spa is used about 20 mins a day on average and I clean the filters weekly and change monthly.  Should I just drain and purge the spa and switch to chlorine? 

1250 liter spa 

Ph 7.4 

Alk 80

Ch 300

I had a similar problem and did switch to chlorine but ours is in a vacation rental which is a very different situation.  We had used a bromine floater . I was told the reason the manufacturer says not to use one is because bits can fall out and stain the shell. That didn’t happen with ours.

If you have not done a purge and then drain since you have had it it is time. The bio film in the lines is eating up your sanitizer. New spas go through testing before they leave the factory and a lot of MFGs reuse the water over and over then they sit before delivery for days weeks months and can go stagnant. That and because the spa is new to you it is getting a lot of use. Be sure to clean your filters every 2 weeks at most and soak then in a filter wash solution every 6 weeks or at the half way point.

Use Ahh-Some line purge. Works better than liquid products.

Where in Canada and what brand of spa do you have?

Floaters are very common and that is the MFG giving themselves an extra reason to deny a claim. Some folks will place the floater on the edge of the acrylic when they are using the spa and it will burn the acrylic. You can keep doing it with just the granule you are just in the learning phase and you will get there. Don't over use test strips they will just cost you money and you will be adding more than the spa needs. Suggest you buy a good Taylor testing kit for more accurate readings. 

If you are wearing bathing suits don't add them to regular washing. Just rinse so they don't pick up detergents. This will add to foaming bubbles in the water.

I would also add a bit more shock next time up to 75g to super chlorinate (if water cloudy) and 25g as a weekly / bi weekly shock treatment several hours before cleaning the filter.

• Like 1

Myself - I have used bromine tablets, monopersulfate shock, and sodium carbonate/sodium bicarbonate for pH control as the only chemicals in my 33-years of having my CalSpa.  Yes, I do add some sodium bromide powder at each water change.

I have never tried Ahhsome, clarifier, water dye, etc.

• Like 1

Cussed-What do you use when you purge? Or don’t you use any product for the plumbing? 

Do you ever have problems with foam? 

When we had a bromine spa , we did just the same as you , but sometimes also used chlorine shock which worked better if really cloudy. However, ours is at a vacation rental so that is a different kind of use!

19 hours ago, Susanj said:

Cusser-What do you use when you purge? Or don’t you use any product for the plumbing? 
I'm not sure I actually "purge".  When I drain (maybe 3 times a year) I end up bailing the last few gallons with a cut-up milk carton.  Then after shell wipe-down (with green pad and water) I add maybe 50 gallons of water and then drain again (without the bailing) then add water to the level.

Do you ever have problems with foam? You reminded me; yes, sometimes when using the jets I add a couple drops of silicone anti-foam.

• Like 1