Hey guys, I am looking to buy my first hot tub and am looking or some help. I live in Edmonton and have access to most major Canadian brands/dealers. From word of mouth I have heard mostly good about beachcomber and bad about arctic spa, but have been frustrated trying to find consumer feedback on most spa brands online before finding this forum. I am hoping you guys can give me some experienced feedback which brands best suit what I am looking for. I have been in beachcombers before but really lack exposure to other brands. 

My first priority is the most reliability you can get from a hot tub in Edmonton's extreme cold and temperature swings. Inside the warranty window and beyond, I don't want a hot tub that is constantly broken down or that will need to be replaced within the next decade. I would like a 6 seater minimum, to seat family and friends but do not want to spend more than $14k CAD on a spa. Jet power and massage aren't super important to me, I just want a spot to relax.

So far my favorite is the Beachcomber 590 Hybrid4. I like the simplicity (minimal electronics to fail) and seating layout although it is right up against my budget and I understand the risk the pump location under the steps carries. 

I have read that the dealer and service provided under warranty is very important and I will be sure to do that research once I can get it narrowed down to a few brands. Thanks for any help!

Beachy.PNG

3 hours ago, Jakerc said:

I don't want a hot tub that is constantly broken down or that will need to be replaced within the next decade

All hottubs will have failures.  They're made up of countless components, many with constant exposure to hot water and strong sanitizers (chlorine or bromine).  Lifespan of these tubs is greatly affected by you the owner - keeping the water balanced and sanitized as needed is important for overall lifespan.  Letting the pH drift too low will cause water to become acidic and in the worst cases cause irreversible damage to the internal components.  And rubber seals like to stay warm and supple - draining/emptying the spa for prolonged periods of time ("winterizing" for example) can cause these seals to dry/rot/crack in a short while.

Industry average lifespan for most mid-grade models is 7-14 years depending on care/maintenance these days.  Some of the top flagship models from the top tiers may exceed two decades with proper care.  

But that's part of the issue here - some people have no problems because they maintain the spa regularly, while others have a much more cavalier attitude towards upkeep and maintenance.  You're going to get tons of positive and tons of negative reviews for every brand. The bigger the brand, the more reviews you'll see.  

Jet power and massage aren't super important to me, I just want a spot to relax.

Awesome! That's important to know - most people think they want all the jets and bells/whistles until they own one.  Personally I enjoy a 50/50 split - first half of the time enjoying a hot soak, and then running the jets for the last 10-15 minutes.  Wet testing is very useful to see how comfortable the seats will be while soaking.

I have read that the dealer and service provided under warranty is very important and I will be sure to do that research once I can get it narrowed down to a few brands. Thanks for any help!

This is basically as important as the brand itself.  If I were you, I'd research the top brands which interest you and then visit the dealer.  Look for a dealer which sells that one brand exclusively and has been in business for many years with a solid reputation in online reviews. Ask questions about their repair technicians - do they outsource to a general spa tech or do they have technicians on the payroll (who service only one brand of spas). And most importantly - how many years free callouts/diagnostics do they include with new tubs (industry average is 6months to three years, some go to five+ years with top flagship models)

Jacuzzi, Sundance, Beachcomber, Marquis, Cal Spas, Artesian, Caldera, Hotspring, Nordic, Bullfrog, etc all make decent tubs especially if all you care about is soaking.  If I were in your shoes I'd visit the website of all the manufactures, find out which dealers you have nearby and start researching the dealer. 

Also I know with covid times have changed, but if possible - try to schedule a wet-test for a spa like the one you're interested in (Doesn't have to be exact same model, just something from the same product-tier/collection). See how comfortable the tub feels to you personally. It's a big purchase, you want to ensure you're comfortable so you can enjoy it for years to come.

• Thanks 1

I understand maintenance is #1 for reliability, I was just wondering if there are any brands which are the Kia/Hyundai of the hot tub world. I hadn't considered hot spring or caldera, I'll give them a look. At the very least I'll make sure I sit in the seats dry if I can't get a wet test. I'll also make sure to dig into my local dealers. Thank you for your detailed response!

Jackerc,

I have a beachcomber 720 that was installed about a year ago.  We have had no issues with the tub and are very pleased with our choice.  As you already pointed out, beachcomber hybrid's achilles' heel is the plumbing under the steps during a power outage.  During normal (power on) operation, the benefit is serviceability and the efficiency of the 4th wall foam insulation.   We ended up putting a small wireless thermometer sensor under there to watch the temp during power outages and then use a generator to run a small space heater to keep that area from freezing if necessary.

We looked at Artic at the time and did not like the seating (very deeply inset) - we like to easily move around the seats for different massage jets.  We also didnt care for the "furniture look" of the outside skirting. 

Both items are personal taste.  Good luck with your decision.

• Thanks 1

Beachcomber's are great until you get a leak that is NOT in the equipment area then you are in for big repair bills. Side panels don't come off so you have to stand up the spa $$ and remove the bottom and dig out soaking wet foam $$ until you can hopefully find an obvious leak and that can be difficult with all the wet foam. Often it will have to be dug out and then laid back down onto jack stands $$ and fill it with water to make it leak. To do this all the equipment has to be disconnected $$ and plugs made up to cap all the plumbing so you can fill it. Once you have located the leak you then have to stand it back up $$ and make the repair. Then you have to re insulate it somehow with Roxul bat or some other type insulation $$ because you can't put the wet foam back in. Once that is complete then it's often back onto stands to fill again and test or you can take the risk you got it all and reattach the bottom and lay it back down and reconnect everything and fill $$. As an independent tech I have to call in movers to do the lifting and laying it back down and they charge for each trip out. Now the leak could be a $2 fix but you are in for a $1000 plus repair in most cases and not uncommon for $2-$3K bill... Arctic has it's own set of design problems that take them of my recommend list. There are some snakey salesmen out there so spend as much time researching the dealer as you do the brand name. JMO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/7/2022 at 9:20 AM, CanadianSpaTech said:

Beachcomber's are great until you get a leak that is NOT in the equipment area then you are in for big repair bills. Side panels don't come off so you have to stand up the spa $$ and remove the bottom and dig out soaking wet foam $$ until you can hopefully find an obvious leak and that can be difficult with all the wet foam. Often it will have to be dug out and then laid back down onto jack stands $$ and fill it with water to make it leak. To do this all the equipment has to be disconnected $$ and plugs made up to cap all the plumbing so you can fill it. Once you have located the leak you then have to stand it back up $$ and make the repair. Then you have to re insulate it somehow with Roxul bat or some other type insulation $$ because you can't put the wet foam back in. Once that is complete then it's often back onto stands to fill again and test or you can take the risk you got it all and reattach the bottom and lay it back down and reconnect everything and fill $$. As an independent tech I have to call in movers to do the lifting and laying it back down and they charge for each trip out. Now the leak could be a $2 fix but you are in for a $1000 plus repair in most cases and not uncommon for $2-$3K bill... Arctic has it's own set of design problems that take them of my recommend list. There are some snakey salesmen out there so spend as much time researching the dealer as you do the brand name. JMO

Arctic and beachcomber aren’t high on your list, any specific brands you like and find easy to fix or are especially reliable? 

Looking at the brands available in Edmonton I would have to have a look at Artesian Spa and the Island Spa series(same MFG) at a place called Spa Country ( I know nothing about the them other than that they sell Artesian). Researching the dealer reputation as part of the process. Artesian consistently has favorable reviews from what I see online. Set a budget and stay within it. Know your costs before you buy. Electrical can easily run $1000 plus. Thing like cover lifter step delivery and chemicals cost money and if they are not included in the deal expect another $500 plus. Ask around on community FB pages and ask for other owners and their experience and what they paid and was included in the deal. You will likely be dealing with a commissioned sales person and it is up to them to get as much money as they can. One customer might pay 12K and the next 14K. Don't get sucked in to "Today Only" "Last one" "Scratch and dent" "Floor model". IMO never buy on first visit the "deal" will still be there tomorrow. Go home think about it. If it still feels right the next day and you have done your homework you will feel much better about the purchase going forward. Good luck