Hotspring envoy power phases

2 hours ago, RDspaguy said:

You can't. The system is designed to use 220v, and any increase in voltage will destroy the (very expensive) electronics. 

Likewise, you cannot use a 3-phase motor in it without the addition of a 220v 3-phase relay to control it.

Why would you want to, anyway?

Sorry i don't want to be stubborn but in holland we do that.
The benefits are that you can use everything of the jacuzzi at the same time.
Example: The pumps are full running and the heater is on.

That is not done by increasing voltage. The laws of physics and electrical theory do not change based on location. Up the voltage to that board and you WILL destroy it. 

Ohms law: Volts = Amps x Ohms

Watts law: Watts = Volts x Amps

By increasing voltage across a fixed resistance you increase amps. Since everything on that board has an amp rating and will burn up from too many amps, you cannot increase voltage without destroying circuit board components.

Most Hot Springs spas are supplied by 2 circuits, a 30 amp and a 20 amp, for a total of 50 amps. This is sufficient to run heater and pumps simultaneously.

Post pics of your circuit board, wiring diagram, and equipment area. 

Well, I am an electrician and have worked with plenty of 3-phase wiring before I started in the pool/spa business. I understand what you are saying, and the economic advantages of 3-phase power, but unless that control system was designed for 3-phase, you are still only using 2 of the 3 hot wires, which is the same as single phase, basically.

Phase to phase give high voltage (208v in the US) and phase to neutral gives low (120v in the US). Industrial applications often use higher voltages (480, 4160, etc.) but these require equipment made for that voltage.

If you were to connect a 3rd phase at the neutral connection you would send high voltage through the low voltage circuit and fry it.

Simply put, if you excede the voltage rating on the equipment by 10% or so it's toast.

yes i understand what you mean but here the people do it a lot.
the 3 fase are separate groups in the elctricitybox in the house.
In the house are 3 phases coming in from the street.

But for now i leave it like 220v till i got the other problems fixed.
When i connect it to 3 phases i wil upload the board with the connections and let know what the hot spring mechanic has done.

I really appreciate your help, even when we are not on the same page.

Thats the nice thing about a forum, we can discuss and bring ideas in.

49 minutes ago, RDspaguy said:

Ok. Best of luck with that.

Oke, after a evening on the web i think you have it right.🤔
This hotspring have only a 1500 watt heater and with the pumps it is about 3400 i think so that is enough for single 220 and 1 phase to do everything.

A lot of jacuzzis(chinese) have a 3000 watt heater and the users set it on 3 phase to do everything at the same time.

I am a quick learner, don't you think😄
Only dig in the specs and think logic but without your answers i don't think i investigate it🤓.

So thanks for the help, case closed.

• Like 1

But it's still 220-240v, as it shows on the diagram, not 380v as you said in your post. You're just using a third phase for the other circuit. As I said before, raise the voltage and you fry the board. This does not raise the voltage, though you might read a higher voltage in the box if you test across circuits. Nor does it offer any advantages over using it single phase, aside from one less wire in the conduit perhaps. I'd have to see the single phase wiring diagram as well to see if it changes the heater voltage, but I doubt it. Although that may be the reason for the 3kw heater restriction. This would make it heat faster, but would not improve efficiency. Heat output is in watts (3kw) and so is your electric bill (kwh, kilowatt-hours). Same heat for the same money, higher voltage just delivers it faster. But if it were operating at 380v the diagram should show that, not "220-240VAC 50hz" 

https://www.electronicshub.org/difference-between-single-phase-and-three-phase/

This covers it pretty good without getting too technical or busting out the trigonometry. 

• Like 1