FLO Error with Sundance Optima

Hatisland

Problem:

Presently our Sundance Optima hot tub (circa 2000) will not heat up beyond about 101°F and is showing an intermittent FLO error message.

Attempted solutions:

• Replaced both the temperature sensor and the flow switch
  • Cleaned the filter
  • Primed the pump by loosening the massage selector cap
  • Turned off power to the hot tub for 30 minutes before re-powering
  • Ran hot tub without filter, including running the two speed pump at low
  • Because of the cold weather I have been unable to try putting a hose pipe into the filter pipe and running water into the tub.
  • I saw online a video that suggested slightly loosening the connector where the pipe attaches to the pump and letting out air. I haven't tried this. Perhaps I should? However, there is no problem with the flow of the jets.

Observations:

• The FLO message disappears when the two-speed pumps are running.
  • The FLO message returns when the pumps are stopped
  • The FLO message does not disappear when the single speed pump is running
  • At the moment the temperature indicates 102°F. It is set at 103°F. I have not been able to get the tub to its hottest temperature. In the past, the hottest temperature has been obviously too hot!
  • We left for a week and turned the tub down to 90’F. On returning the temp showed 90’F and the FLO message was absent. I turned the tub up to 102’F, it warmed (I still doubt it was 102’F), but the FLO message returned. Again, FLO disappears as soon as I turn on the first level of the two-speed pump.
  • We have had some residue/deposits (calcium?) accumulating on floor of tub. I’ve tried to clean it out with a net. Wondering if there is more in the pipes and this may be contributing?

Any suggestions? Thanks.