Great Lakes Penta 2005

Uncle Jim

I have a 2005 Great Lakes Penta spa. Balboa 4 button controls and GVS501 board. After draining, cleaning and refilling (actually overflowing), when I connect power the pump continuously cycles on and off. Trouble code " Pr" shows on display. If I hold the jet or turbo buttons, it stops cycling until I release it, then begins cycling again. Where do I start to troubleshoot it? Tia, Jim 

PR is not an error. It is a Priming Mode and the spa on start up will display PR for about 5 mins then the heater and filter cycle will kick in. You can bypass PR by pressing temp up/down once. If the water is cold (below 60 degrees) the spa will run the pumps until the spa gets some heat in it. You can turn them off and they will start right back up to prevent freezing until the sensors detects warmer water temps then it will run normal.

Unplug the topside. The system should run automated functions (heat and filter) with not topside. If it stops it's the topside, if it continues it's the board. Most likely the topside. It may stop after it dries out some.

The topside is held down with a 2-sided tape gasket or caulk, and can be removed by running a razor knife around under the edge and prying it up with a screwdriver. Put something under the screwdriver to avoid scratching the shell. Once out, you can use a hair dryer on low to dry it out. Re-install with clear silicone caulk.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RDspaguy said:

Unplug the topside. The system should run automated functions (heat and filter) with not topside. If it stops it's the topside, if it continues it's the board. Most likely the topside. It may stop after it dries out some.

The topside is held down with a 2-sided tape gasket or caulk, and can be removed by running a razor knife around under the edge and prying it up with a screwdriver. Put something under the screwdriver to avoid scratching the shell. Once out, you can use a hair dryer on low to dry it out. Re-install with clear silicone caulk.

Thanks for the info. As soon as I get over this Covid crap, I'll try all that. Pretty miserable right now. A good soak would sure feel good!