What made my bromine go through the roof?!

Tehandyz

Bromine spa. 400 gallons with an ozonator. Someone gave me new shock. Sodium Carbonate Peroxyhydrate. I followed the instructions and the bromine level did not raise (I use Taylor test k-2005) so I decided nevermind on that product and decided to buy potassium peroxymonosulfate. I tested afterwards and everything was fine. However, I neglected to test this week until last night and my bromine is OFF the charts and all 5 of my bromine tabs are gone. Completely dissolved despite having only one tab visible in the floater. 

What did I do wrong? 

3 hours ago, Cusser said:

I've used a bromine tablet floater for 33 years in my spa.  Every two weeks I add a little bit of monopersulfate. Besides pH adjustment, that's all I add.

But your system does not have a skimmer filter to trap the floater in a continuously high flow area. You have a skimmer plate, which draws little water through it compared to a skimmer filter.

But you may also have an eddy that can trap your floater. This is more common in newer tubs with more jets and flow, but is possible in yours too. Every pool and spa out there has "dead spots" or eddys that can trap floating stuff. Get your floater in an eddy that runs it past some jets 6 times a minute for a 4 hour filter cycle and you've got high sanitizer. Unless it does this so consistently that it is part of your routine. 

• 1 month later...