Hot Tub water pump assembly

stepkat

Hi.  I'm Kat.  I bought a used LifeSmart hot tub and..... I'm learning.  So, tub started leaking, did the research, changed out the wet end seals, new impeller all is good.  Until......I put the seal plate back on the wet end.  The shaft no longer turns.  It was spinning fine with the seal plate off but put one screw in it and froze up like your tongue on a flagpole.  I'm just not knowing WHY!!! Please tell me it's something stupid simple. Attached a pic of pump if it helps.

Thanks 

IMG_1019.JPG

I would suspect that the impeller is not all the way on. Most times when I rebuild a pump due to a leaking seal I have to grind down the motor shaft a bit to get the impeller all the way on. The primary cause of seal leaks is because the shaft of the motor near where the threads are for the impeller to screw onto has expanded due to centrifical force. This expansion of the shaft will cause the shaft part of the impeller to also expand and often split or lock into the seal causing the leak or seizing the impeller in place.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your response now let me see if I'm understanding.  After first reading your solution my thought was to grind the shaft in length.  But reading again it sounds like reducing the diameter of the shaft just behind the threads. If this is correct do I need to remove the shaft from the motor?  You have been very helpful to me. thanks, Kat

I run the motor with the pump removed and use a file, emery cloth, and a wire brush on the shaft BEHIND THE THREADS to clean it up.

Sometimes a piece of the old seal can remain stuck on the impeller or in the pump housing and prevent the seal from fully seating. This will also cause your issue. As will damaged/ rusted threads.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello to my new spa geek friends!  Thank You

I so appreciate your help with my stuck impeller problem.  I followed your advice and was able to get the shaft and impeller to turn with the seal plate on.  However, it still was not spinning freely as I expected it should.

So, I went back to the "how to"   video library and learned that the shaft bearings might need to be replaced.  Took the whole thing apart for what is now the fourth time, located the bearings, front and rear.    They looked to be in pretty good shape really so I just cleaned everything up really good and put it back together.

My now totally rebuilt Spa Pump spins soft and smooth with no scratching grinding sounds. I still have to install it back to the tub but I am confident, or at least hopeful that it will work and I will be enjoying my tub again soon.

Once again Thank You!!  You are the Best!

Yours Truly, Kat from Kansas

• Like 1