Bromine level issues with floater and best shock?

JLB228

Hi, I’m a new hot tub owner since this past October.  I use a Taylor chemistry test kit to test my water.  I use bromine for my sanitizer.

1. I have a hard time keeping the bromine levels up in my tub.  I use a floater with 3-4 pucks.  It is opened so you can see at least 2 pucks in the opening.  If I let it sit for a couple days with no use, test it, and often I’ll find very low to zero bromine, but the pucks are still dissolving.  I end up putting in Leisure Time brominating granules in to get the levels up to be able to use the tub.  Am I doing something wrong?   The pucks are slowly dissolving so why are levels so low?  Should I add more pucks?  Seems like the floater isn’t a good option unless I need more pucks in it.

2.  What is the best shock to use?  I’ve been using Leisure Time Renew non-chlorine shock.  Any other suggestions?

11 hours ago, JLB228 said:

Hi, I’m a new hot tub owner since this past October.  I use a Taylor chemistry test kit to test my water.  I use bromine for my sanitizer.

1. I have a hard time keeping the bromine levels up in my tub.  I use a floater with 3-4 pucks.  It is opened so you can see at least 2 pucks in the opening.  If I let it sit for a couple days with no use, test it, and often I’ll find very low to zero bromine, but the pucks are still dissolving.  I end up putting in Leisure Time brominating granules in to get the levels up to be able to use the tub.  Am I doing something wrong?   The pucks are slowly dissolving so why are levels so low?  Should I add more pucks?  Seems like the floater isn’t a good option unless I need more pucks in it.

2.  What is the best shock to use?  I’ve been using Leisure Time Renew non-chlorine shock.  Any other suggestions?

I use bromine tablets in my 1988 CalSpa, since 1988.  I have never added brominating granules.  I use monopersulfate shock like once every two weeks, and last time I ought from an online retailer for lower cost.  Except for adding some bromide powder with each water change, I don't add fancy stuff, just sodium carbonate or sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) to raise pH when necessary.

Most bromine systems are two step. When you first set up, you're supposed to balance your TA and PH first, then add enough granules for a fresh start to begin your bromine bank. Then you add the floater and shock 1-2 times a week

If your tabs are slowly dissolving it means it's being eaten faster than it can stay in the water. You should check your PH levels. If they are not between 7.2 and 7.8 they struggle to effectively sanitize. 

Honestly it just sounds like you need to use shock.