Hot Springs Spa - D9 or Pressure switch jump issue?

AshleyD17

Hello all! First time poster but long time follower.

Recently had a power outage and when power resumed, I noticed my hot tub started dropping temp even though all signs pointed to go. Turns put relay board was fried..not sure if it was a coincidence but regardless I replaced it (IQ2020) and hooked everything up exactly the same (minus the obvious changes in the new 2 relay board vs the old 3). D9 flashes repeatedly. Figured new board was bad (my luck) so replaced again..same thing.

The only way I can get D9 to stop flashing is taking off the jumped pressure switch (replaced heater a few years ago and had to be jumped permanently due to new model). Obviously now I'm getting the flashing red and green lights on the display because I took the pressure jump off. 

Question is..could my jump be "bad"? I ordered an actual replacement jump (as opposed to the current crossed wires and tape method) but I'm not even sure that will fix the problem because I can't find anything on the WWW about bad jumps, just bad pressure switches in general.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Hi! Yes just the relay board. Twice, technically as the first one did the same thing so figured it was a dud but this one does the same thing. For clearer context, everything "works" (jets, drain bubbles, displays no error codes, etc) but D9 on top middle of relay panel blinks and water won't heat. Just trial and error led me to pull the pressure switch jump off and D9 stops blinking but then of course jets stop working and get the flashing green and red lights on the display.

Note: not an airlock, filters are clean, I've drained and refilled the tub, circ pump appears to be working and my heater was replaced about a year or so ago. Wired up same as burnt board and notched the metal bracket (which is off in these pics because I was just tired of taking it on and off to troubleshoot!)

20220106_180249.jpg

20220106_180240.jpg

20220106_180232.jpg

The red jumper wire appears to have some discoloration. Is that terminal good and tight? Chech voltage into the main board from the jumper wires.

Check for corrosion or damage on the pins where the boards connect.

If the pressure switch wire is the jumper, connect it inside of the box. Verify it has continuity.

Verify proper voltage from the breakers at the terminal bar.

Verify that the relay board is set to the proper voltage according to the jumpers on the top left (12v or 18v).

1 hour ago, RDspaguy said:

Ok. 1 and 2 are different breakers, as are 3 and 5. You need to test from 1 to 3 (240v), and 2 to 4 (240v), and 2 and 4 to 5 (120v). 

Ok this is what I've got: H2 and H10 still 0, 1 and 3 showing 1.3, 2 and 4 now showing  0, 2 and 5 showing 0. At a complete loss as wires exactly as it was before I changed the relay board out

Yep appears that way. None of the breakers trip or anything either so I don't know what changed. Everything turns on, jets/waterfall work and I have bubbles out of the bottom just no power to the heater (even though it too says its on). Didn't make it outside to mess with it again today but I'm going to go back to square one and just try rewiring everything based on the wiring schematic that came with the new relay board as opposed to the hot tub manual. Only thing else I can think to try before I call and wait on a pro :( I live in the middle of nowhere so fingers crossed because I already know it will take forever to get someone out here (if I even can!)

Likely a dumb question but figured I'd ask since my colors on my wires don't match my diagrams..the neutral. Would it be the one that's grouped with the 3 wires (red/white/black) or would it be on the other set of 2 wires that are grouped together (black and white) most likely? Pretty sure my ground wire is grouped with the 2 set (white and black) if that helps at all...

Alright guys getting closer (I think!) When the new board came in it was set to 18V. Nothing said to change it to 12V so I left it. Read something on another forum last night that said if I went from the 3 relay (old) to the new 2 relay to try the 12V. Just did that and this is now what I'm getting... Still nothing on H1 and H2 BUT now I'm getting 122 at 1 and 3, 244 at 2 and 4, and 122 at 2 and 5. Not sure if it matters but showing 244 at 3 and 4 and 121 at 3 and 5. Added the missing screw as well on the leg on the 30v at the breaker (it wasn't there before but just in case). Still can't understand H1 and H2 though ...literally 0.

RE: Jumper - If your MAIN BOARD (not relay board) has been replaced, you'd want to switch it to 12v, otherwise, I believe you should leave it on 18v. 

I recommend slowing down and checking things from the source before continuing. You're only going to fry things if you keep moving wires/jumpers around. 

The wiring on your 30a GFCI breaker does not look correct. On that breaker, please verify which of the lugs are 120v, and which is the neutral. If you provided the correct wiring diagram for your hot tub, from the 30a breaker you should have (2) 120v wires going to your relay panel, and NO neutral wires. 

Let me try adding some new pictures where I'm currently at. Everything is off at the main right now so disregard the breakers positions for pic purposes. I think I may have originally attached the wrong diagram from the replacement relay board. Note also this is how it was wired before I switched the board. Doesn't mean it is right (by any means) but everything worked that way for a year. I really appreciate all of yalls help! (First diagram is from user manual and 2nd is from relay board replacement instructions) 

16420261124795875314400912771140.jpg

16420261516138764755807052237211.jpg

Screenshot_20220112-172336_Drive.jpg

16420263785966557817189577734929.jpg

image.thumb.png.9d75d4615c60f5d6884f54035d84dac3.png

I still think it's wired wrong. Test each one of these 3 lugs individually, and let us know which are 120v and which is the neutral. You will not get any voltage reading from the neutral lug. 

Also, are you absolutely sure that's the correct wiring diagram for your hot tub? It's critical. 

• Like 1