Our Experience with a Portable Hot Tub 2007-2021

kiwi_outdoors1

Our Experience with a Portable Hot Tub 2007-2021  (updates in italics)

This is one married couple’s experience, no more, no less.

1.    We bought the Downeast Spa Portsmouth SE model with no prior research, bought it at a “Hot Tub Expo” at the county fairground – bad idea – we paid too much. It has 88 jets, 3 jet pumps and a 24/7 circulating pump.  Pumps have been no problem.  Price included an ozonator – we never found it, and if it exists at all its not plugged into to the controller.

2.    The spa had one big initial leak due to forklift damage – repaired at no labor cost – but – we have to pay travel time (total 180 miles) to the repair guy. Read your fine print!

3.    Here in S.F. Bay Area – PG&E’s tiered pricing for electricity is dreadful. So we added extra internal insulation (loose and board) to the tub and added a 19-panel solar system on our roof.  We also added 1.5” or rigid insulation board under the tub (and PTDF 2x4s under the perimeter steel frame).

4.    Husband enjoys the lounge (bed-like) seat, which faces the southern part of the celestial sphere (night sky).

5.    We watch some meteor showers form the hot tub; but being in the city it needs to be a moonless night.  The Geminids are best on account of having fireballs.

6.    We had a relay and power circuit board trace burn out on the controller board. We replaced the relay and bypassed the burnt trace (the relay had extra output pins).  We replaced the heater at the same time.

7.    This tub came with a too-fancy 3-stage filter. Very $$ to replace filters. So we switched to just using the large pleated filter, changing it as needed.

8.    Mostly, its just the two of us. We figured out that the tub stays pretty darned clean if we don’t use any kind of roll-on or spray-on deodorants or anti-perspirants on our bodies. Cleaning the tub interior is only a periodic wipe-down using a towel when in use.

9.    The tub is set on a slightly raised concrete pad and is a bit of an eyesore in our yard. At some point I would like a smaller tub set lower (in a recessed vault) so that it’s easier to get in and out of and less of an eyesore.   Also, if the tub was partially recessed in the stone patio, then the risk of head injury from a small child exiting off the edge of the tub is reduced.

10.  Chemical maintenance is mostly bromine tabs, with occasional shots of Spa Up, Clarifier and Calcium Hardener, and maybe some Enzyme very occasionally.

11.  When I change the water, I use a small submersible pump and my garden hose with a squeeze-to-spray nozzle, and hand scrub clean my sandstone paving using the warm water.  We cannot waste water here in Calif. This is followed up with a spray of “Wet and Forget” to kill black mold (or whatever it is that grows in shady spots).

12.  We would prefer a hot tub with no jets – just a good soaking tub.  The jets do not relieve sore muscles or joints.  It’s all about the hot water.

13.  When days on end of rain is forecast, we erect a 12 x 12 sunshade over the hot tub and continue to use the tub.

14.  We have replaced all the O-rings on the screw-type plumbing “unions” once except we have never replaced the O-rings on the circulating pump (O-rings, ordered from Downeast, were the wrong size)

15.  Leisure Time bromine tablets are more responsive to our needs than Spa Choice – because they are different chemistries.

16.  When I change the water, I use my shop vac inside the empty tub to suck the remaining water out of the plumbing.

17.  About a decade ago we had one instance of “white snot” in the water. Fixing that problem included changing the water.  Never had it return.

18.  For a vacation period, we turn the tub to sleep mode, turn it down to 80 deg F, and open the top for at least 12 hours prior to departure – to cool it off.  Cool water uses far less bromine than hot water.

19.  We have not had any rodents get inside the void spaces (there are mice and rats around at night).

20.  All jets are removable, but if you don’t remove them periodically, one or two jets may be a real challenge to remove.

2.1  The jet pumps intake screens were all replaced after rotting out.

What about sunscreen, body lotions? Do deodorants muck it up more? 

Did the modifications bring down electric costs a lot? 

I have used Wet & Forget on my home shower door and grout. I spray and then it’s supposed to be left on 8-12 hours and then rinsed. Is that how you use it? 

If no jets are desired , there are Japanese soaking tubs but they may only be for indoors? 

8 minutes ago, Susanj said:

What about sunscreen, body lotions? Do deodorants muck it up more? 

Did the modifications bring down electric costs a lot? 

I have used Wet & Forget on my home shower door and grout. I spray and then it’s supposed to be left on 8-12 hours and then rinsed. Is that how you use it? 

If no jets are desired , there are Japanese soaking tubs but they may only be for indoors? 

IMO don't put anything on your skin if you want a clean hot tub.  Else shower it off before you get in the tub.

The mods (insulating + solar) did bring the electric costs down to a "tolerable" level.  Insulation alone was not enough.

My wet and forget is sprayed on after the stone has dried overnight. I did not rinse it. It worked great. (it was actually the "Spray and Forget" product)

The Japanese soaking tubs that I have seen do not have the lounging couches built in.

4 hours ago, kiwi_outdoors1 said:

IF you maintain the spa water properly using its prescsribed chemical regime (check your spa manual) you should not get algae inside the spa plumbing (i.e., the "white snot" that I referred to)  

Thanks for posting your experience.

It is my recommendation to use a spa purge product like Ahh-Some plumbing line cleaner every 3 months before draining your water. This will remove any bio film from the interior of the plumbing lines and will reduce the amount of chemicals going forward as the bio film is not "eating" up your sanitizers. You might not get the white snot showing up but rest assured the bio film is in there working against you. At almost 15 years and still running strong it sounds like you are doing things right. Here in Canada on rare occasions I get to enjoy the Aurora Borealis dancing in the night sky. Enjoy

6 hours ago, kiwi_outdoors1 said:

We bought the Downeast Spa Portsmouth SE model with no prior research, bought it at a “Hot Tub Expo” at the county fairground – bad idea

Classic Master Spas traveling circus - this is a very common story. I have no clue why Master Spas allows these bozos to travel the country selling spas even overstepping into other master spas dealer regions.   I guess Master Spas just wants to sell tubs regardless customer satisfaction.

The spa had one big initial leak due to forklift damage – repaired at no labor cost – but – we have to pay travel time (total 180 miles) to the repair guy. Read your fine print!

Again, classic traveling spa circus dealer ruckus.  This is NOT the same experience you get buying a name brand spa from a local dealer like a Hotspring or Jacuzzi authorized dealer.   My Hotspring dealer for example has been selling/servicing spas as a small family business for thirty years.  They have technicians on payroll and include FIVE full years free callouts.  So far they have replaced two remotes, two temperature sensors, two led light covers, and a pair of speakers all for free under the warranty - no $$ aside from a tip to the techs for their time/effort.

Still, the industry average lifespan for a hottub these days is 7-14 years given proper care/maintenance.  You mention buying this tub in 2007 - that's 14 years which is getting up there in age.  You should consider yourself lucky it's lasted this long! Anything extra is awesome at this point.

12.  We would prefer a hot tub with no jets – just a good soaking tub.  The jets do not relieve sore muscles or joints.  It’s all about the hot water.

Curious, doesn't your spa have a circulation pump?  Why not simply leave the jets turned off?

My three-seater (with a lounger - LOVE the lounger lol) has a circulation pump.  Half the time we soak peacefully enjoying the night's sky. Although we are out in the rural countryside close to the Kennedy Space Center so we see a lot more of the night's sky unobstructed.

Thanks for your feedback.  Always awesome to hear from long-term owners as opposed to new owners still in the honeymoon phase of ownership lol

the 3 big jet systems exercise themselves automatically twice a day - to get some new bromine into the pipes' innards.  If I unplugged the pumps' wiring harnesses the jet piping would start breeding unwanted biologial items.

Yes - as I stated - it has a 24/7 circulation pump - which uses the non-jet piping and the filter bay (a very small amount of piping at that)

21 hours ago, Susanj said:

7-14 yrs average lifespan? A friend of mine has 4 in vacation rentals and some are 20’yrs old. 

For modern hottubs, yes.  To keep a long story short, pressure-treated lumber is the industry-preferred framing material for most hottubs.  Back 20-30 years ago, this pressure treated lumber was made using arsenic making the wood extremely rot resistant.  Then in 2002 the EPA phased out Arsenic in favor of Copper to make the pressure-treated lumber.  This is a much more Eco-friendly option, except for the fact that the wood is much more prone to rot when exposed to moisture and water (like the conditions found around a hottub) - most tubs won't make it to 20 years these days without having to have the cabinet and framing rebuilt (which can be done if you're a master carpenter, but most people don't have the patience for that lol). 

So yeah, old tubs made before 2002 can have much longer lifespan than many newer tubs made these days especially with proper care/maintenance.   However that's why a lot of the top-tier flagship models from the big brands have started moving towards a polymer tool-grade plastic framing which is far less likely to rot or fail prematurely (Bullfrog A-series, Hotspring Highlife, and some other brands) giving the spas a much longer potential lifespan since there are few components to rot away, and most of the ones which will (like rubber and silicone seals can be replaced as needed).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/18/2021 at 9:56 AM, RDspaguy said:

Not all spas are created equal, and maintenance plays a part too. I see a few older tubs (15+ years) but most have been junked before that age. 

My CalSpa is 33 years old.  The gray electrical box is where I added a 40-amp GFCI, didn't come with one in those days....

CalSpa equipment.JPG

CalSpa-Water-Heater-Element-240V-5500-watt.jpg