Control Unplugged Light On

kkrug1

I have a 2004 Tiger River Bengal model that has not been used much recently.

Background-It needed a new top and water flushed and when I select the jets button it only works on the 3rd try. Had a service tech diagnose the #2 pump-$1300-and not in stock so I passed on that repair. We don't use the jets much and so I can live with that and everything else checked out.  The front cover and panel were off since I was thinking of doing the repair myself and somehow the front cover fell and tore a few gray wires out of the panel and the high limit sensor wire tore in half. Drained and refilled everything and connected what I found missing and booted up tub and power light started flashing within seconds. Opened a few connectors to purge some air and tried it another dozen times....nothing. 

I replaced the high limit and temp sensors (my original had metal plugs....the new one's are shorter and plastic but all connectors matched up) and now I am getting bubbles/circ pump is working but still flashing power light and control unplugged light comes on seconds after start up. No stereo, etc. and have an email for service but that may be another week or so. Anything I can try? I've checked all connectors and nothing is burnt, etc. One of the wires that came out was the control panel flat wire. I have reinstalled this a few times and it feels like it only can go in one way and included that in pics also. 

Long story and thanks in advance for any insight.

J1.jpg

J2.jpg

J3.jpg

20 hours ago, kkrug1 said:

#2 pump-$1300

WOW...$1300 for a $300 pump installed... I have to raise my prices. Google "XP2 pump" and match up single speed or 2 speed as well as the wet end offset. Post photo of the pumps wet end and the white tag on the motor if unsure . Disconnect the #2 pump and test for power coming off the board to verify it is a pump issue not a board issue. 

20 hours ago, kkrug1 said:

We don't use the jets much and so I can live with that

Water and in turn chemicals not circulating through the unused jets will sit in the lines go stagnate and get funky over time. You need to have chemicals and flow through all the jets to maintain a healthy spa.

Make sure the topside flat wire connections are all pushed firmly in the holder and none of the leads got pulled out and are no longer making contact with the pins coming off the board.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply....I saw where the OEM pump (it has 2) was close to $1k plus labor and my comment to the tech was I don't want to google this and find an alternative pump for $500!

I will check the connections on the top side and see if something has slipped out and maybe catch a break. Will update the thread if that is the case.

If the topside control was pulled out by the wire you could have bent the pins or pulled a wire loose. The "control unplugged" light means the board does not read the control. This has nothing to do with the pump, but can prevent it from working.

Does this $1300 estimate include labor, service charge(s), trip charge, warranty, etc? I order parts online for my fixer-uppers that I resell, but in your backyard I only order through a local supply chain where I can have manufacturers warranty and no trouble with a warranty claim. Under those circumstances, I pay more than you can find it for online, and, like every business, I have to have a profit margin as well so mark it up further. If you order your own parts I will install them but I warranty NOTHING. Many places do not offer that option. 

2 hours ago, kkrug1 said:

don't want to google this and find an alternative pump for $500!

I hear that crap too. I respond "then don't google it, because... (see above). I am not a charity, and have to make money to stay in business. If that's a problem for anyone, they are more than welcome to fix it themselves. I charge a $200 minimum and am happy to troubleshoot it and let you fix it. 

• Like 1

On 11/26/2021 at 10:44 AM, RDspaguy said:

If the topside control was pulled out by the wire you could have bent the pins or pulled a wire loose. The "control unplugged" light means the board does not read the control. This has nothing to do with the pump, but can prevent it from working.

Does this $1300 estimate include labor, service charge(s), trip charge, warranty, etc? I order parts online for my fixer-uppers that I resell, but in your backyard I only order through a local supply chain where I can have manufacturers warranty and no trouble with a warranty claim. Under those circumstances, I pay more than you can find it for online, and, like every business, I have to have a profit margin as well so mark it up further. If you order your own parts I will install them but I warranty NOTHING. Many places do not offer that option. 

I hear that crap too. I respond "then don't google it, because... (see above). I am not a charity, and have to make money to stay in business. If that's a problem for anyone, they are more than welcome to fix it themselves. I charge a $200 minimum and am happy to troubleshoot it and let you fix it. 

I am all for you guys making money and have no problem paying for parts and labor. I've owned a auto repair business for 10 years and our saying was "you don't bring you're own eggs to waffle house."

The pump I needed was not in stock and the service tech indicated they would have to order it anyways and for me to let them know what I wanted to do. I decided to live without the 2nd pump for now. Yes $1300 was parts, labor, warranty and it is an OEM pump. 

The wire into the control panel as best as I can tell is very secure and where it dislodged was from the main panel. Pins looked ok and I have had it off a second time to see if I put it on backwards, but it seems to only go in one way. 

I have a call to have it serviced and my guess is somehow the main panel got damaged? All I know is when the spa boots up it triggers that light in seconds, so I know it is a hard fault. 

• 2 weeks later...

Quick thread update......had the service tech out (while I was out of town of course) and he was here close to two hours and could not identify the issue. Tried all of his test equipment (panel, main board) and the same issue occurred every time. 

He is coming back Friday and will have the manufacturer on the call to help diagnose. I spoke with their office and they indicated this guy is one of their best techs and I've never had an issue, so we will see!

Thread update.....had the tech come back and he had duplicate test equipment, even bypassed my power, to eliminate as many variables as possible. Swapped control unit out to a tester and main board.....still had it tripped every time. I was with him as he kept getting no where and sensed his frustration and also could tell he wanted to figure it out and he knew his stuff. He went into pin configurations on a installed board and got the unit to work with his control top. When he plugged mine in it did the same thing.

Told me my control panel is not made anymore and that the replacement needs updated main boards, etc....where they retrofit everything. $1500 parts and labor (lost my light since that would also need to be swapped out and he said those are several hundred) and I thought that was more than fair......up and running and now I just need to get the water balanced!

• 1 year later...
On 12/17/2021 at 10:51 PM, kkrug1 said:

hello @kkrug1

did i understand you right, u got your tub up n running without setting u back $1500?

How?

I have the same issue, broken top control, so wound need both main board, new top control and converter for lights.

Want to repair my top control if possible instead of replacing absolutely everything.