Balboa GS100 heating control problem

Owenmhiggins

Hi, we recently installed a Balboa GS100 system into a Hotspring Hotspot spa as a replacement for the original gear and we can't get it to control the heat properly.  It's generally overheating and running too hot and occasionally has tripped out onto 'HH' after getting up to 43 deg C.  Here are the main points of note:

• GS100 heating system
  • Mini oval 3 button Balboa touchpad
  • Dip switches are: 1 + 2 Off, 3 On, 4 Off, 5-10 all On (yes, we reset persistent memory)
  • The 2 speed pump doesn’t go on low speed so is wired to run on high speed (PCB outputs are joined together at the motor plug) when heating and when the pump is selected on the touchpad (this is why 5 and 9 are both On to limit run time to 30 mins when left on) (Advice I’ve received is that although not ideal this set up will work ok and won’t overheat the spa through friction.)
  • AND SOMETHING THE CUSTOMER JUST TOLD ME, initially when we first got the spa going it controlled the heat ok, it wasn’t until we returned and got the light (bulb not LED) going that the heating control problems started.  

We have tried swapping the sensors over and have even swapped the whole control box and sensors but it's still not going right.  I'd really appreciate any comments that could point us in the right direction.  Thanks.

Owen

Post photos of the circuit board and schematic on the inside cover.

Post photo of the topside and the numbers on the white tag on the underside of it. Did you buy the topside with the spa pack or are you reusing what was already there. If they were bought/installed separately Are you 100% certain they are compatible?

What is the filter cycle duration currently set at?

On start up there is a sequence of 3 sets of numbers. What are those numbers. The second set should be "12" for 120V and "24" for 240V. 

A5 down and A9 up will be a 15 min run time if left unattended.

Re: A7 Off will enable Standard mode, Economy Mode and Sleep modes.

Re: A6.. On= 50HZ Europe off = 60HZ North America...Where are you located?

https://www.balboawatergroup.com/VS100-Series

Click the link for VS100 technical data sheet as well as the GS Sell sheet

Hi,

Thanks for your comments.  See the photos attached.  The control box and touchpad were bought together.  Filter cycle is F1.  Start up numbers are: 100 59 41 12. (I read that in this case 12 means less than 3kW element)  I've now changed A5 to off and A9 is still ON.  I've changed A7 to off and checked that it's on Standard mode.  A6 is still on as we're 50Hz, (I'm in New Zealand).  

AND SOMETHING I NOTICED yesterday.  I had the pump and element unplugged and was testing across the sockets for pump/element power etc.  2 or 3 times while testing I heard a click and when I looked at the touchpad it was booting up like the power had just been turned off and on again.  But power hadn't been interrupted as the RCD was holding.  The circuit to the spa is not very flash.  It's a plug in extension cord (not especially heavy duty, less than 10m long) that the owner has routed and it's fairly old.  The no load voltage on the board was 235V but I don't know the loaded voltage.  I'm wondering now about low voltage or a fault in the supply cable.  My next thing to do will be to hook up a better temporary supply.  Your comments on this?  How susceptible are these boxes to low voltage?  

Thanks for your help.  Regards, Owen

IMG_7375.JPG

IMG_7376.JPG

IMG_7377.JPG

IMG_7378.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still having problems with this spa.  We unplugged the heater element when the spa was at 34 deg C and left it running so it couldn't heat, it could only do it's filter cycles.  After 3 days the spa was at 39 deg C! So I know for a fact that the pump when running on high speed will add heat to the spa.  

We've just installed a new 2 speed pump thinking this will solve the problem, but it hasn't.  So my question is; on the GS100 controller when it runs a filter cycle (F1-F9) what speed does it turn the pump on, low or high?  If it turns it on high then replacing the pump hasn't helped and if we can't stop it doing that the end result might be that the GS100 simply isn't a suitable controller for this spa.  

Looking forward to your comments.  Thanks, Owen. 

When filtering or the spa is calling for heat the heat related pump should run on low speed. If it runs in high then swap the red and black wires around at the pump. The Filter cycle should be set at F2 meaning it will filter the water for 2 hours out of a 12 hour period and 4 hours total out of a 24 hour period. 2 hours in AM and 2 hours in the PM