Issues with Foaming Water

dl657737

Hello all,

I'm a relatively new hot tub owner (purchased my hot tub about a year ago), and have been running into an issues with the water becoming very foamy when the jets are on. I've drained/refilled the hot tub twice, but the problem always seems to come back after a few weeks, and I can't figure out why.

Test strips show that all levels are normal, I've replaced the filter, tried both chlorine and non-chlorine shock, all to no avail. I called the store that I purchased it from, and they suggested that it could be detergent from our bathing suits, but I don't believe this is the case as it wasn't an issue when we first got the hot tub and used it more frequently.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Tub info:

Its a Hot Spring hot tub that uses the Frog @ease in-line sanitizing system (Chlorine)
I use Ahh-Some to clean the lines before draining

Are you able to post your full results from a liquid test kit?  Of most interest are calcium hardness and pH.  I believe the store is usually right... all it takes is one detergent loaded bathing suit and you have foam.  Also, anyone who gets in with body products (lotions, hairspray, etc.) can cause this.   How long does the foam stick around after you turn off the jets?

Hi, I work in customer service at FROG. It’s definitely not FROG @ease causing the foaming. Since foaming is caused by the partial list below, you should start by eliminating these. Foam is all about prevention. Shower before you get in, use the same bathing suit (rinse in water only), limit adding other foam causing chemicals, and keep your water properly balanced.

·        Hair products

·        Body oils

·        Make up

·        Lotions 

·        Drinks

·        Deodorant 

·        Fingernail polish

·        Perfume

Also, here is a great video that can help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG3tVQ6NESg&t=1s.  Please contact me atdan.mosier@kingtechnology.comand I can help further if needed.  I would also recommend downloading our free FROG water care app to help you with this and other issues you might have. https://www.frogproducts.com/about-us/frog-mobile-app/.

Thank you both for the responses! I'll order some of the foam preventer; I've heard of them before, just wanted to see if I could fix the root of the issue first.

As for the foam, it does seem to dissipate pretty quickly after the jets turn off.

Test Strip Levels:
Alkalinity: between 40 and 80 (Looks a little on the low side)
PH: About 6.8 (yesterday it was a bit higher at 7.2)
Total Hardness: 250 ppm

Are there any recommendations for laundry detergent that wouldn't cause foaming?

As many on this forum will tell you, test strips are not very good for troubleshooting problems or accurate dosing.  You would make a wise decision in buying a taylor k-2006 test kit. 

Low pH can be a contributor to foaming and where your TA is low, you should bring the TA up a bit to increase your pH to the 7.6 to 7.8 range. Do it slowly so that you do not overshoot. Hardness looks OK.

7 hours ago, dl657737 said:

Are there any recommendations for laundry detergent that wouldn't cause foaming?

I don't think that exists. For your swimsuits, only wash them in soap occasionally, and when you do put them  through a second complete wash without soap.  Most days, just line dry them in your laundry room or outside.

When we run the jets with air, we get bubbles on the surface but they dissipate almost instantly once the jets are stopped.  Foam from detergents or other products have a "piling up" effect that does not dissipate right away.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Foam can be from a chemical imbalance but more often then not, it is from stuff people bring into the water or very old water.  If that is a picture of your water, you need a water change and then strictly regulate your house rules for getting in the tub (i.e. double rinsed swimsuits, no lotions or body products and mandatory showers).  

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2021 at 5:40 PM, dashmer said:

Foam can be from a chemical imbalance but more often then not, it is from stuff people bring into the water or very old water.  If that is a picture of your water, you need a water change and then strictly regulate your house rules for getting in the tub (i.e. double rinsed swimsuits, no lotions or body products and mandatory showers).  

Is this foam though? They go away after we turn off the jets and the water is clear.

1) We shower before and after use

2) Just rinse the bathing suits with water.

I've used small amount of defoamer and instantly bubbles go away. Is it okay to keep using the defoamer product? What is in it and are there any alternatives I can use? Is this bubbling because of soft water or low TA?

5 hours ago, thecanadiran said:

Is this foam though? They go away after we turn off the jets and the water is clear.

In my experience, when jets are running with air, you get bubbles on the surface that seem to increase in density as the water gets older. I think this is normal  These bubbles quickly dissipate when you stop the pumps.  The best way I can think of to describe foam is accumulation and stacking of bubbles like in the photo above. When you stop the pumps they take longer to dissipate. Defoamer is a temporary solution that only gets rid of the foam for a day or two.  You can try shocking your water and scooping the foam out with a skimmer net or solo cup. If the water is old, or heavily used you should change it for best results.  Your TA, CH and pH look good and are not likely contributing to the foam.  I can almost guarantee someone or something got into your tub loaded with detergent or other product.

I have the same problem.  Took a water sample into Leslie Pools for free testing because my 3 different ph tests were giving me 3 different numbers and I didn't know which one was correct.  Turns out that my water is very high in phospates.  Apparently it is naturally ocurring in some areas such as here in Charleston, SC.  They sold me a $40 jug of phosphate remover.  You add a shot glass (1 ounce) once per week.  After circulating the water for 48 hours you remove and flush the filter.  I think he said clean it with a bleach/water mix but I just flush it with a hose.  I still have some foaming (after 2 weeks of treament) but I think it has definitely improved.  Weird thing is I had never heard of testing the spa water for phosphates prior to taking the water in for sampling.  I recommend having your water professionally tested at your local pool/spa chemical dealer.  They placed my water sample into a machine and printed out a detailed diagnostic report.

Edited by geraldz
correction