Balboa Circuit Board burnt up

jdw1222

thanks for the help!

Ill check for tightness but pretty sure its tight.  SO what's bets option and how do I ensure this doesn't happen again? 

This hot tub did get flooded last year , which is why I replaced circuit board, controller, and pump.  The heater did not get replaced.  Is there anything that could be bad on actual heater from the flood that is causing this?  Everything has functioned perfect for the last year

Should I look into spaguts and swap out the unit?

10 minutes ago, jdw1222 said:

SO what's bets option and how do I ensure this doesn't happen again? 

Heater relays fail. Some last a lifetime some don't. Some just burn up inside itself others fail on a grand scale like yours did. 

13 minutes ago, jdw1222 said:

Should I look into spaguts and swap out the unit?

Just the board. Heater is likely still fine.

My electronics guy has made this repair in the past on unavailable/discontinued boards for me. He takes a section from a different board and glues it in but he really is good at what he does and it is only done in cases where there are no other options. The repair cost for this can be close to buying new. 

1 hour ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

Heater relays fail. Some last a lifetime some don't. Some just burn up inside itself others fail on a grand scale like yours did. 

Just the board. Heater is likely still fine.

My electronics guy has made this repair in the past on unavailable/discontinued boards for me. He takes a section from a different board and glues it in but he really is good at what he does and it is only done in cases where there are no other options. The repair cost for this can be close to buying new. 

thanks!  Circuit board has gone up about $100 in price since last year!!  A little over $300 now.

would have hoped it would have lasted longer than year.  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, jdw1222 said:

would have hoped it would have lasted longer than year.  

Which it should have. That's why I suspect a loose connection. A defective board is possible, but highly unlikely. 

If you will be replacing the heater too, just get a new pack.

11 hours ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

He takes a section from a different board and glues it in

I would think a new relay and a wire to the heater bypassing the burned part of the board would do the trick. Should be pretty cheap.

Striking out with getting board repaired. The new circuit board is $300 and have been coming across the whole Balboa box with new heater and controller for around $440 ( assuming it’s is the correct setup )

thinking for the extra $130-140 i would rather have a new heater and extra topside controller?  Not sure if it matters but my heater and sensors were flooded a couple years ago 

good idea/bad idea?  Waste of money?

Can anyone tell me if is this the correct unit ? 

Balboa Water Group 54216-Z VS500Z Spa Control System With Duplex Topside https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01508T8FO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_2SH9E5QFSPY6HSCBZF70

DC213813-D5C4-4214-833F-66B040658D57.png

9BC49C5F-592C-4F40-81FE-F618EF5D0557.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I've had this exact same issue. I replaced the board and the hot tub worked perfectly for about 4 months. This morning I discovered the replacement board failed in the same way.

I know this is an old thread, but on the off chance you see this, did replacing the whole pack work out for you?