Cannot figure out Balboa VS501Z connection with the Laing E14 circulating pump

bob34

Hi, 

In my refurbished spa I installed Balboa VS501Z controller with Laing E14 single speed circulating pump. I have one pump only setup and no other attachments. I want the circulating pump to either circulate 24 hrs a day and the heater to kick in when needed to bring water temperature up or to circulate for 2 hrs every 12 hrs and continue longer if the temperature set up is not reached. 

I tried connecting the pump to all three:

- J23 as a main pump with DIP set up A5 on/A9 off as a single speed pump, it runs but I am getting dr/dy error code. There is no obstruction of flow. E14 produces a strong flow, supposed to be 35 GPM, the minimum on balboa is 25 GPM.

- J17/26 - it runs, but stops within 10-15 minutes - no codes

- J47 - it runs,  but stops within 10-15 minutes - no codes

I tried to play with DIPs: A3 is on as I have a mini panel, A10 on or off.

Also page 7 of the manual says "Alert: Blower on 1 speed Pump 2 is required, connect to J17/26. If no Blower and no pump 2, use VS500Z or VS515Z". Does it mean I can not set up the one I bought - VZ501Z with only one pump?

What am I missing?

Thank you,

• 10 months later...
On 11/17/2021 at 11:33 AM, bob34 said:

Hi, 

In my refurbished spa I installed Balboa VS501Z controller with Laing E14 single speed circulating pump. I have one pump only setup and no other attachments. I want the circulating pump to either circulate 24 hrs a day and the heater to kick in when needed to bring water temperature up or to circulate for 2 hrs every 12 hrs and continue longer if the temperature set up is not reached. 

I tried connecting the pump to all three:

- J23 as a main pump with DIP set up A5 on/A9 off as a single speed pump, it runs but I am getting dr/dy error code. There is no obstruction of flow. E14 produces a strong flow, supposed to be 35 GPM, the minimum on balboa is 25 GPM.

- J17/26 - it runs, but stops within 10-15 minutes - no codes

- J47 - it runs,  but stops within 10-15 minutes - no codes

I tried to play with DIPs: A3 is on as I have a mini panel, A10 on or off.

Also page 7 of the manual says "Alert: Blower on 1 speed Pump 2 is required, connect to J17/26. If no Blower and no pump 2, use VS500Z or VS515Z". Does it mean I can not set up the one I bought - VZ501Z with only one pump?

What am I missing?

Thank you,

Did you ever figure this out? I am Having a similar issue. Tub gets to temp then shuts off pump and heater, no codes. I can turn on jets level 1 and 2, tub runs, temp then creeps up a5- on,  a9 -on. Single pump 2 speed vs501z. Thoughts?