Heating Troubles with spa

Iowa

I have a Spa Builders lx15. The heating element was replaced along with the pressure switch. There is water moving with any/all jets, tried removing filters . It only seems to heat when it wants to and that is usually when I run both pumps. I have checked the filters and removed them, no improvement. if I turn the jets off/down with heater running I get an fl1 error which eventually goes off and heater light comes on but it still does not heat  . In all cases the heater light does come on but it still does not heat properly. 

New heating element, new pressure switch. Electric is all fine and filters are new, but I did remove them with no improvement. FL1 code does show up at time when pump one is turn to low speed. 

I cant figure out what to do next. No blockage on drain covers and water is moving. 

I am not sure there is enough flow from Pump one but it is working... and the heater light comes on . Any chance a fuse needs to be replace ? The pump does work , could be more water pressure from pump one however. I do not see any indications of an air lock BTW. 

Most pressure switches need to be adjusted. Depending on the system, the heater light could just mean it is calling for heat, buf some safety device, such as the pressure switch, is preventing it from turning on.

If the element was installed touching the side of the heater it will burn out in no time.

Test voltage at the heater terminals when light is on.

Post pics of circuit board, wiring diagram, and equipment area so we can see what you've got.

On 11/3/2021 at 10:11 AM, RDspaguy said:

It will work until it burns out, usually less than a week, but it depends on how much the heater runs.

OK< heater is working but not heating water. adjusted the pressure switch more... counterclockwise. still no results. Any other ideas ? Tube for heater is warm. WAter is at heating a little but not much, got up to 97

• 2 weeks later...

I am still trying to resolve heating issues. I have been able to get it to heat up when I run pump one on high. But circulation pump alone does not enable it to heat until... I turn up the pumps then I can get it to heat up again.  So when temp drops circ pump comes on heater light comes on but does not heat again until I turn up jets again. Clearly the heater works, just does not heat with out jets on. Any thoughts.

Mildly Confused... does the spa have a circulation pump or does it heat and filter using pump 1 running on low speed. If it has a circulation pump then running the pump on high and getting heat makes no sense. They would be plumed on separate lines. When you power up the spa without touching any buttons what happens? Does pump 1 start up and run in low speed or does a circulation pump start up and run? (main pumps might turn on and run for a couple of mins... but after that what happens) Are there any error codes that show up? 3 tiny dots in between the temp numbers? Does the heat light flicker and then go solid? Once it goes solid do you have 240V at the heater? I normally disconnect the heater and follow the power from the circuit board through the hi limit thermal fuse disc to the heater for 240V if I have 240V getting all the way to the heater but the spa is still not heating then I replace the heater element. If the power stops at one side of the hi limit thermal disc then I replace that.

pump runs  on low speed , heater light on, but does not start heating  until I put jets on high. Heates through pump one on low speed. 

pump 1 runs on low heat light solid. Sorry I am referring to pump one "low speed" it does not have a circ pump. Heating element is new. I will look at hi limit disc.