Electrical requirements

Al Cohen

I'm installing a new Watkins spa.  I have 200 amp main service.  The spa calls for a 2 pole 50 amp breaker in the main panel and 2 pole 30 and 20 GFCI in the exterior sub panel.

My plan was to run 100 amp service to the exterior sub panel to allow for some power going to a future out building.  So that means there's a 100 amp breaker, not a 50 in the main panel.

I'll still have the 30 and 20 GFCI in the sub panel.  Our on staff electricians where I work see no problem with that.  However, Watkins stance is it's not permitted.  No solid reason behind the their stance.

I'd like to hear from any knowledgeable electricians who might be in the forum.

Technically, it's fine.  It's no different than if you actually put a 30 A and a 20 A GFCI in your main panel and ran each of those circuits to it's own spa disconnect panel. To the Spa, it has a 20 A and a 30 A GFCI protected circuit. Watkins is funny about this. My theory is the rating of the sub panel. Are you using their panel or your own?

It's not what you desire but for warranty purposes, I would do what Watkins permits,then run a separate circuit from the main panel to the outbuilding when you put it up.