Gecko in.xe Heater Question

I am new here, and hoping to contribute in future as well...but I have a 2011 Dynasty Spas Trident tub, with a Gecko in.xe spa pack. I have searched the web and can't find the technical info I am seeking, and thought this forum may be a resource to help. Our tub stopped hearing this past weekend....and I am in Alberta, Canada....so I don't have a lot of season left before I risk freezing the tub. Nights are below -6 celsius already and I'm losing about 5 degrees Celsius per day currently. 

I have done the basic troubleshooting I have found so far...I have confirmed I have a hearing symbol on my panel, and pumps are running continuously trying to heat. When I adjust the temperature I hear the relay click on. I have shut off power for 5 minutes and restarted the tub but no heat. This evening I opened the spa pack and confirmed 240v on the supply side into the tub. I opened the connection panel to the heater and when I first tested...I had 120v on both L1 and L2, but not 240v across the two. I mucked around and tested some more and all of a sudden 240v showed across L1 and L2. It seems to be heating now...but I'm concerned going into winter. In the guides I have found, if I had confirmed 240v across the two wires, my heater would be the culprit...but if I don't have 240v then the spa pack is the culprit. In the case of it intermittently doing 240v power...I'm leaning towards the spa pack being in need of replacement, but obviously would prefer the heater alone. 

Does anyone have any other technical advice on other diagnosis or troubleshooting? Or general experience that could leade the right direction? I fear the hot tub stores will leane toward the pack being the issue without any detailed thought. 

Thanks in advance for any support you may be able to offer.

Scott

First.. and let me be very clear about this...OILERS SUCK! 😈 

You may have a relay on the circuit board that is starting to fail. Relays are like little on/off switches and the contact points can get worn over time. I would keep an eye on it and if it happens again then relays can be repaired fairly cheap. I use a guy in Guelph ON but you should be able to find an electronics repair shop locally. 

I would also check the main wire going into the pack/circuit board and make sure there is no loose connection. Retighten all the connections to be sure. The screws holding the wires can loosen over time and you want to be sure they are tight so you don't get arcing and melt the connection. 

If it fails again you could remove the pack and open the back and see if there are any darkened or burnt areas on the back of the circuit board.

7 hours ago, Scooter_On_Air said:

I have found, if I had confirmed 240v across the two wires, my heater would be the culprit...but if I don't have 240v then the spa pack is the culprit.

First part correct second part...usually... but could be a sensor not allowing the heater to fire. There would likely be an error code in this case or a heating related pump that is not running when it should. 

7 hours ago, Scooter_On_Air said:

I fear the hot tub stores will lean toward the pack being the issue without any detailed thought. 

Happens all to often. Find an independent tech that offers circuit board repair. The IN.XE packs can be hard to find but supply is getting better. If you are getting a repair I normally have them replace all the relays on the board to freshen it up while it is out.

Lastly... GO LEAFS!!!