Jump to content

Eaton Cutler-Hammer 60 amps Plug In 2-Pole Circuit Breaker #BR260 is compatible with my Electric Panel in my house, now where do I find a 60amp GFCI Box ?


JimboCh
 Share

Recommended Posts

You can use any exterior rated panel with a 60A GFCI. 

This combination will work.

Panel

https://www.amazon.com/Siemens-W0204ML1060U-Outdoor-Circuit-Enclosure/dp/B00002N7KR/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5JSLBhCxARIsAHgO2SfidpD8YF_3mUqBt4QDdb00nSmvexxAqE_CaGUPEjizuK7mTjIjV0kaAuHrEALw_wcB&hvadid=511638453598&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9009625&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=b&hvrand=5774340274902166799&hvtargid=kwd-423424113050&hydadcr=2656_9908775&keywords=60+amp+gfci+breaker+siemens&qid=1634073498&sr=8-6

Breaker

https://www.amazon.com/Siemens-QF260A-Circuit-Interrupter-Lockout/dp/B01D4UHYTW/ref=pd_bxgy_img_1/138-6728303-4480903?pd_rd_w=FfdZS&pf_rd_p=c64372fa-c41c-422e-990d-9e034f73989b&pf_rd_r=N431MNEV88ATC3SB93SV&pd_rd_r=e0e6b1a8-df24-4554-a102-9e9448a7c13a&pd_rd_wg=pg5Yo&pd_rd_i=B01D4UHYTW&psc=1

 

You also can just add a 60A GFCI to the interior panel (as long as you have room in it) and that a waterproof disconnect. 

This also works for code compliance if you can put the GFCI in your main panel.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LF42NK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you have a dual slot in your main panel, do it this way. Install the GFCI in that space and feed the disconnect panel. You save the cost of a conventional dual pole breaker. Who is your main panel's manufacturer?

I'm going to guess you have a Eaton/Cutler Hammer box in the house, if so, use this GFCI which appears to be in stock.

https://www.amazon.com/CUTLER-HAMMER-CH260GF-Breaker-Cutler-Hammer/dp/B01M0M6AQG/ref=sr_1_79?dchild=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5JSLBhCxARIsAHgO2SeDL7gPntyTeRkQAthi3Bv6zCAdmjNq53-poeoPzswuLO4SVlpkbf8aAuOOEALw_wcB&hvadid=409996810994&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9009625&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=4187668556211678544&hvtargid=kwd-667079538633&hydadcr=26613_10407661&keywords=gftcb260&qid=1634074468&sr=8-79

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, cranbiz said:

You can use any exterior rated panel with a 60A GFCI. 

This combination will work.

Panel

https://www.amazon.com/Siemens-W0204ML1060U-Outdoor-Circuit-Enclosure/dp/B00002N7KR/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5JSLBhCxARIsAHgO2SfidpD8YF_3mUqBt4QDdb00nSmvexxAqE_CaGUPEjizuK7mTjIjV0kaAuHrEALw_wcB&hvadid=511638453598&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9009625&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=b&hvrand=5774340274902166799&hvtargid=kwd-423424113050&hydadcr=2656_9908775&keywords=60+amp+gfci+breaker+siemens&qid=1634073498&sr=8-6

Breaker

https://www.amazon.com/Siemens-QF260A-Circuit-Interrupter-Lockout/dp/B01D4UHYTW/ref=pd_bxgy_img_1/138-6728303-4480903?pd_rd_w=FfdZS&pf_rd_p=c64372fa-c41c-422e-990d-9e034f73989b&pf_rd_r=N431MNEV88ATC3SB93SV&pd_rd_r=e0e6b1a8-df24-4554-a102-9e9448a7c13a&pd_rd_wg=pg5Yo&pd_rd_i=B01D4UHYTW&psc=1

 

You also can just add a 60A GFCI to the interior panel (as long as you have room in it) and that a waterproof disconnect. 

This also works for code compliance if you can put the GFCI in your main panel.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LF42NK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you have a dual slot in your main panel, do it this way. Install the GFCI in that space and feed the disconnect panel. You save the cost of a conventional dual pole breaker. Who is your main panel's manufacturer?

I'm going to guess you have a Eaton/Cutler Hammer box in the house, if so, use this GFCI which appears to be in stock.

https://www.amazon.com/CUTLER-HAMMER-CH260GF-Breaker-Cutler-Hammer/dp/B01M0M6AQG/ref=sr_1_79?dchild=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5JSLBhCxARIsAHgO2SeDL7gPntyTeRkQAthi3Bv6zCAdmjNq53-poeoPzswuLO4SVlpkbf8aAuOOEALw_wcB&hvadid=409996810994&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9009625&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=4187668556211678544&hvtargid=kwd-667079538633&hydadcr=26613_10407661&keywords=gftcb260&qid=1634074468&sr=8-79

So it is okay to put the GFCI inside  the electric panel in inside of the house  and not outside near the tub?

My electric panel says use these breakers,  

On the panel it says the following:
Use Cutler -Hammer Type BD, BJ,BJH,BQC,BR, BRAF,BRD, BRH, BRO, BRSN, BRWH, GFCB, GFEP, OR GFCBH CIRCUIT BREAKERS CIRCUIT BREAKERS

So will that above breaker fit in my panel? I do have 6 knockouts still open? Are you sure that type breaker will fit?

Also just having a disconnect is acceptable you are saying outside about 10 ft from spa, is that correct?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, JimboCh said:

So it is okay to put the GFCI inside  the electric panel in inside of the house  and not outside near the tub?

Check local code. The downside to having the GFCI breaker inside is you have to be home if you ever need service. Outside makes it a lot easier for turning on and off for cleaning/removing filters. Disconnects work but I have seen them trip the inside breaker disconnecting and reconnecting and if you are not home then it's another trip another day for service guy. There are several ways it can be done and the right way.

 

13 minutes ago, JimboCh said:

saying outside about 10 ft from spa, is that correct?

Again check your local code. They just want to be sure you can't reach it when you are in the spa and also so it can be manually tripped quickly if ever needed.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

Check local code. The downside to having the GFCI breaker inside is you have to be home if you ever need service. Outside makes it a lot easier for turning on and off for cleaning/removing filters. Disconnects work but I have seen them trip the inside breaker disconnecting and reconnecting and if you are not home then it's another trip another day for service guy. There are several ways it can be done and the right way.

 

Again check your local code. They just want to be sure you can't reach it when you are in the spa and also so it can be manually tripped quickly if ever needed.

 

This is in Virginia, not a lot of code going on here compared to where we lived before in NJ. We have been in Virginia 10 months.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, jimmythegreek said:

You wont have much additional cost using a regular breaker in main feeding a gfci outside. Any standard 2pole box with big enough lugs will work fine. Theres price swings amongst gfci breaker brands as well. Doesnt need to be a CH breaker outside just the right one for the lug in that little box

But can I use a 60amp with GFCI in my electric panel inside the house and then run the wire from inside panel  through the wall of the house to outside to a disconnect box mounted on outside of house  which is about 10 ft from the side of the hot tub?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

Yes

Thanks, is #6 gauge wire (6/2 with ground) large enough to handle the 60amp breaker? I will put it in gray pvc under the ground, only need about 20ft for wall to box and box to hot tub.

Is the stranded 6/2 wire okay to use or is it better to use solid copper wire, romex under ground stranded seems easy to find, not so much for the solid copper 6/2 wire?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes you can disconnect outside amd breaker inside. The disconnect will kick the gfci when pulled btw.  You want to run 6/3 not 6/2.  Here with current code you need thhn or thxn in conduit you cannot use romex in conduit for overheating fears. You want stranded for puling wire.   With a gfci circuit you are always better running the nuetral as well as both hots plus ground. You can downgrade the ground a size and pass code

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, jimmythegreek said:

Yes you can disconnect outside amd breaker inside. The disconnect will kick the gfci when pulled btw.  You want to run 6/3 not 6/2.  Here with current code you need thhn or thxn in conduit you cannot use romex in conduit for overheating fears. You want stranded for puling wire.   With a gfci circuit you are always better running the nuetral as well as both hots plus ground. You can downgrade the ground a size and pass code

Okay then I guess I will just bury the 6/2 romex wire with no covering. Dealer says no neutral needed on their hot tubs.

Should I then buy Thnn wire to go from  electric panel inside to outside to disconnect box to the ground, would need about 6 ft. of pvc pipe or is  6/2 romex okay for that short about of romex incased in pvc pipe okay?

I got these directions from the spa dealer:

"Your spa needs to be hard wired with 220V wiring. The wire service included (2 hot 1 ground) Outdoor rated #6 or heavier wiring is recommended. Your wiring will originate from your home electric panel, run to a GFCI and then be connected(hard wired) to the Smart Touch 2000 electrical pack inside your spa. If you are using conduit under deck or concrete pad, this is the area it should terminate.

You need to connect the black and white wires to (L1 and L2. The white Load neutral is not required with our spas so you can leave that  disconnected. ACC has modified the terminal connections so now you can't hook up a white neutral to the pack. (There were electricians re-wiring the Smart Touch 2000 packs in the past and causing problems). "

1 hour ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

What brand spa?

https://www.integrityspas.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TAHITIAN_TV_SPA

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hope you did your homework.

How close is the dealer and their service? Not much good if you can't get reliable and timely local service.

What is the dealers reputation?

Did you buy online or did you go to a local retail location to buy?

Where is the spa manufactured? 

Where is the control system manufactured? I would look into trying to buy a replacement control system and what the cost and availability is. Again not much good if you can't get parts when the warranty is over.

Don't think I have ever seen a spa more then 2 years old with a tv that still works.

Personally I see a few red flags. Social media not updated since 2018, 31 BBB complaints (taken with a grain of salt) other questionable reviews. These would make me want to do more research.

Please don't get me wrong. I have never seen one and it could be the best spa ever made. I just want you to be informed. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

Hope you did your homework.

How close is the dealer and their service? Not much good if you can't get reliable and timely local service.

What is the dealers reputation?

Did you buy online or did you go to a local retail location to buy?

Where is the spa manufactured? 

Where is the control system manufactured? I would look into trying to buy a replacement control system and what the cost and availability is. Again not much good if you can't get parts when the warranty is over.

Don't think I have ever seen a spa more then 2 years old with a tv that still works.

Personally I see a few red flags. Social media not updated since 2018, 31 BBB complaints (taken with a grain of salt) other questionable reviews. These would make me want to do more research.

Please don't get me wrong. I have never seen one and it could be the best spa ever made. I just want you to be informed. 

 

Completely understand, we didn't buy one with the Tv or Bluetooth Audio System. that would have been an additional cost

We know we are taking a chance buying online, but we were not interested in buying a brand new hot tub from dealers around here when the prices were crazy high and the hot tub was a piece crap with only like 25 jets.........Might as well just buy a large bath tub.

Actually when we bought back in April, the cost of the hot tub was $700 less then it is now. Time will tell if we got a good deal or not, really looks well built. Many of the parts are sourced out of the USA. So don't think parts will be a problem.

If there is a problem during the warranty time, they send out a spa technician from a local spa repair company.

Buying a spa during Covid is not easy, supply is terrible and when you do order one, wait times are really long.

All there hot tubs come in on ships into California, and then transported all over the US. When mine came they had 2 other tubs for delivery in my area also.

Most times when reading reviews you only read the bad ones because people with no issues don't bother to ever make a review. So sometimes the review information you find on the internet can be misleading.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/12/2021 at 7:51 PM, JimboCh said:

So it is okay to put the GFCI inside  the electric panel in inside of the house  and not outside near the tub?

My electric panel says use these breakers,  

On the panel it says the following:
Use Cutler -Hammer Type BD, BJ,BJH,BQC,BR, BRAF,BRD, BRH, BRO, BRSN, BRWH, GFCB, GFEP, OR GFCBH CIRCUIT BREAKERS CIRCUIT BREAKERS

So will that above breaker fit in my panel? I do have 6 knockouts still open? Are you sure that type breaker will fit?

Also just having a disconnect is acceptable you are saying outside about 10 ft from spa, is that correct?

I seem to have forgot to hit the submit button yesterday. Sorry about that.

No the one from Amazon won't fit according to what you posted but this one will.

https://www.mrsupply.com/eaton-s-cutler-hammer-circuit-breaker-gfcb260-brand-new.html

$147 plus shipping. 

My main panel is a combination meter box/ panel so it's outside. My local code in NC is OK with the GFCI in the main panel and a disconnect near the Spa. Like what has been already said, you local code might be different. Code on the disconnect here in Rockingham County, NC. is no closer than 5' to the spa and within visual sight range. 10' that is line of sight should be fine. Now a close friend mounted his GFCI in his main panel and that was inside his house. No issues with it from the local electrical inspector.

I see a red flag though. 2 hot, 1 ground and the vendor saying they rewired the block so a neutral is not required. That scares me. I don't see the GFCI operating correctly without the neutral. The GFCI works by comparing current flow from the neutral and ground. You can't just tie the neutral and ground together downstream of the GFCI. You may want to check with your local inspections department to make sure this wiring setup is legal.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, cranbiz said:

I see a red flag though. 2 hot, 1 ground and the vendor saying they rewired the block so a neutral is not required. That scares me. I don't see the GFCI operating correctly without the neutral. The GFCI works by comparing current flow from the neutral and ground. You can't just tie the neutral and ground together downstream of the GFCI. You may want to check with your local inspections department to make sure this wiring setup is legal.

Same as Jacuzzi/Sundance. 2 hot 1 ground white wire is capped off if it is there. Personally I would still run 3 wire plus ground and cap the white in case you ever want to change out the spa in the future. #6 3 wire using unprotected stove wire until you go to the outside and have it through the wall and directly into the GFCI Box and then run a protected Tech 90 cable to the spa...but that's just me

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To late now on the wire, just got back from purchasing a 2 wire plus ground  6/2 UF wire, Going to go with that since the spa dealer keeps saying the common wire is not needed.

No one had a 60amp GFCI breaker( went to Lowes and two Electric shops, so I still have to order that online.  Just have to make sure it will fit my electric panel in the house..

 

@cranbiz I will see if Mr Supply has that breaker in stock...called there before for the spa pack(breaker with GFCI in the box, and they didn't have it even though their site said they did.

 

Bought this Disconnect Box for outside of house from Lowes, get's good ratings, non-fuseable. I believe it is the correct one for my usage.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Eaton-60-Amp-2-Pole-Non-Fusible-Enclosed-Molded-Case-Switch-Disconnect/1114583

 

Repeat: Can't find a spa box 60amp GFCI anywhere to put the GFCI down stream on the outside of house because NO ONE ANYWHERE has one. Impossible to find, even 50  amps are hard to find, 60amp ones are worse.

Believe me I rather go that way, but I have no choice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, cranbiz said:

That box certainly will work. 

Given the lack of availability of Cutler Hammer 60A GFCI breakers, I'm surprised that you didn't get some other brand that has a better availability. Square D, Siemens, etc. Any UL rated, wet location, 60A box will work.

 

Show me which pairing will work with my electric panel( send me links please)

.60 amp breaker with my current electric panel that will fit

and which 60amp breaker box with GFIC that will work? Please send me links.

So far I just got done installing wire in hot tub, and dug trench and put wire in up to the side of the house, currently wire is sticking up out of the ground next to wall of house....

 

Edit: I can return the Eaton Disconnect Box still, I have not opened it yet

I'm kind of working backwards, from hot tub to electric panel. See no reason that it makes a difference?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...