Same heater problem; new information and new thread

David Miller

Thinking I needed to remove debris from the heater--at this point the circuit breaker would not come on--I disconnected the power from the heater and the hot tub would now power on.  I also noticed that it wasn't making the noise that it was before (see attached video).  I found that two black wires that connected the board to the heater had been resting on the heater, and the insulation was burned through (see attached photo).  Could the faulty wires have had anything to do with the noise the heater was making?  Since the circuit breaker won't come on with the heater connected, will the new heater need to be replaced?  

I really appreciate the help that's been offered here during this nearly months-long ordeal, and my wife is especially anxious to see this resolved.  

burned wires.JPG

5 minutes ago, David Miller said:

will the new heater need to be replaced? 

yes

7 minutes ago, David Miller said:

I found that two black wires that connected the board to the heater had been resting on the heater, and the insulation was burned through

This should not happen. It says to me that there is an issue greater then what we currently know. I think you need to get a look inside the heater. If something is wedged inside it could be transferring the heat to the heater barrel and in turn burnt the wire. It has also likely been the cause of the heater failure. When you install a new heater element make sure it is centered in the tube and not touching the sides of the chrome heater barrel.

When you power up without the heater connected do you get 240V to the 2 copper tabs?