Constant Low Ph

spalover

When we first filled our spa three months ago, the PH was a bit high. We got things balanced out and have been using Leisure Time (Spa 56 daily, since we use the spa every day, and Defender once a week). That keeps the water clear, but now we're fighting a constant battle with low PH. We are literally adding Spa Up almost every day, and I'm concerned that this could damage our tub. Any ideas on what could be causing this? Generally, only my husband and I use the tub, and we use the same swimsuits that are not washed with soap & don't use anything on ourselves like sunscreen. We haven't changed the water yet since the initial fill (other than adding a bit here and there from the hose), and the tub is always covered when not in use.

Forgot to add...it's a Vita Caberet, which has a very good ozinator, and we also have a spa mineral purifier stick.

What are your total alkilitity readings? If your TA is not between 80-120 your PH can bounce around. Dichlor has a tendency to add acid as a biproduct, which brings down PH and TA. But a small amount of soda ash (ph only) or baking soda (ph and ta) will bring it up. I to have to add baking soda every month to balance my TA and PH at the same time. But not every day. Check your TA

When we first filled our spa three months ago, the PH was a bit high. We got things balanced out and have been using Leisure Time (Spa 56 daily, since we use the spa every day, and Defender once a week). That keeps the water clear, but now we're fighting a constant battle with low PH. We are literally adding Spa Up almost every day, and I'm concerned that this could damage our tub. Any ideas on what could be causing this? Generally, only my husband and I use the tub, and we use the same swimsuits that are not washed with soap & don't use anything on ourselves like sunscreen. We haven't changed the water yet since the initial fill (other than adding a bit here and there from the hose), and the tub is always covered when not in use.

Get your total alkalinity up to 125 ppm. That will buffer the pH & help prevent it from slipping down. One thing to remember is that granular chlorine (dichlor 56 or 62) has a naturally "low" pH which will put a drag on the pH.

Since you're at the point of changing the water anyway, change it & get the water rebalanced. Adjust the Total Alkalinity monthly. Another balancing point is the Calcium Hardness. Maintain that level between 150 - 200 ppm; this will also help to control foaming. When you've got everything in balance, it all works together.

Have fun!

Your total alkalinity is probably low. Take a water sample to any pool store, and they will check it for you.

Lew Akins www.lewakins.com

"Spa Up" from Liesure time is Sodium Bicarbonate also known as Total Alkalinity Increaser. It rases both the TA and the pH. You will probably need to raise the TA to a point where the pH is too high and then add some pH down to get the pH under control. The TA needs to be about 80 to 100 PPM and it will keep the pH from falling so quickly. Get a Taylor test kit to help make you life easier.