SOFTUB T140 Short Cycles and Operates Erratically

plumber802

I purchased this Softub T140 from its original owner last year at the start of the pandemic. The paperwork that came with it states it went into service on 11-4-17. It has always been kept and used indoors. It worked perfectly for me last year. I did empty and clean it this past spring. Two days ago I filled it back up and plugged it in and it did reach its set point of 100 and shut off normally. However, shortly after the pump would come on for less than a minute and shut off and would repeat this behavior randomly but frequently.

Today I was able to devote some time to trying to resolve the issue. It is plugged into a dedicated 20A GFI protected outlet that I tested and got 118 volts. I started by running the pump on the air bubbles setting for a while then switched back to just jets. The temperature set point was set at 100 degrees. The indicated  temperature on the display did drop to 97 before climbing back up to 102 degrees at which point the pump shut off. Short thereafter the pump did kick back on for several seconds even  though the display still remained at 102. It eventually dropped back to 100 but the pump continued to cycle on intermittently for several seconds each time. 

I have tried unplugging it multiple times in an attempt to reset it but get the same outcome. I would venture a guess that maybe the thermistor or the control panel might be faulty but don't want to start throwing parts at it without a solid diagnosis. Does this model Softub have a self diagnostic mode that can be checked for trouble codes? Any other advise would be greatly appreciated Thanks, Andy in Vermont.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I would at least get a few educated guesses lol. I ended up bringing he power pack to the Softub dealer near me. He diagnosed it as a bad voltage regulator on the mother board which requires replacing the entire board. Luckily he had one on hand. $551 total labor and materials. Ouch!

On 10/17/2021 at 1:32 PM, plumber802 said:

I thought I would at least get a few educated guesses lol. I ended up bringing he power pack to the Softub dealer near me. He diagnosed it as a bad voltage regulator on the mother board which requires replacing the entire board. Luckily he had one on hand. $551 total labor and materials. Ouch!

Sorry bud, none of us are familiar with softub. Glad you got it squared away.

On 10/23/2021 at 8:43 PM, RDspaguy said:

Sorry bud, none of us are familiar with softub. Glad you got it squared away.

No worries. It seems that Softub is very secretive and  proprietary in nature, much like Tesla or Apple. The service tech/owner was unwilling to give me back the old part. Only after assuring him that it would be used by me for parts did he finally let me have it back. Based on my experience with my local dealer here in Vermont I don't think I would buy another Softub.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/26/2021 at 6:24 AM, plumber802 said:

No worries. It seems that Softub is very secretive and  proprietary in nature, much like Tesla or Apple. The service tech/owner was unwilling to give me back the old part. Only after assuring him that it would be used by me for parts did he finally let me have it back. Based on my experience with my local dealer here in Vermont I don't think I would buy another Softub.

Hi Plumber802

I have the same issue, short cycling at the set point on my Softub 140. 

What does the part look like? Could you post a pic or send it directly to me please.

BTW I have had my softub ages with no issues and love it. Just make sure you keep the Ph up or your liner will wrinkle terribly.

Trifoiler129