Slimy filters

Lisa91

We've had the hot tub for two months and today I went to do my weekly filter cleaning with the hose and found this. It's on BOTH filters. It's just husband and I and we use often but don't get hair wet, don't wear lotions, sunscreen, etc. I've never seen this before and have no idea what to do. Halp!

20211002_183312.jpg

Hi Lisa91:  Your images indicate contaminants that are probably a form of Biofilms.  Every single hot tub, swim spa and swimming pool has biofilms.  Nothing new here.  One soak with your hubby for 30 minutes in 102-104 degree water will add over 2 million body secretions to the hot tub. These eliminations are greatly desired by Biofilms.  The Biofilms are living under cover in slime formations in your plumbing system.  Once in a while the biofilm eliminates pieces of the colony.  These globules are probably part of this release as well as typical dirt, exfoliated skin and a host of other gunk that typically is found in hot water vessels. When is the last time you did a plumbing colonoscopy or purge to your hot tub?  Smaller tubs, under 300 gallons need purging every 4-5 months.  Larger tubs and swim spas cn go longer before the purge.  People just simply hate to clean the plumbing.  They will write on this forum all the excuses why they aren't doing it yet.  They heard something from someone who told them they could just buy or do this and not drain the water.  Folks!  If you are reading this post.  The single best thing you can do to eliminate lots of frustration and maintenance issues is to use a good purge product.  They all do something.  That image of the gunk on the filter is commonplace.  No matter how many showers you take before soaking, it doesn't matter.  
Purge, Maintain and Enjoy!

• Like 1

Lisa91:  No need to buy the filter cleaner.  When yiu purge with our product you are going to place the filter(s) in the hot tub.  We will deep-clean them.  It is beneficial to always have a spare set of filters.  Always start off with dry filters and you will get longer life out of them.  Yes, yiu do need to drain all the water.  When you see the gunk that we bring out you'll want to drain the tub.

Thank You CanadianSpaTech:  I am not comfortable telling people about our products in a forum like this.  Thanks for mentioning it though.  We will let the hot tub community come forth with how our new maintenance product is doing.  

• Like 2

Thanks Ahhsomeguy! The hot tub is only two months old so haven't done anything other than spray the filter. The inline Frog system may need replacing next week but so far, no other problems. Your product comes on Monday so I will tell you how it goes! 

Lisa91:  it does.  Mix the gel, 2 ounces to 5-7 gallons of water.  Use in sprayer to soak roof stains, mold, fungus or whatever. Leave it on without rinsing off similar to Wet And Forget.  Works great.

We do manufacture a formula for HE Washers and Dishwashers.  The little 2 ounce container provides for 24 cleanings.  So, typical users get 2 years worth of monthly cleanings for both appliances.  Note:  The washer and dishwasher may really stink after the Ahh-Some cleaning.  You need to run a cleaning cycle with your regular cleaning detergent or dishwasher pod to eliminate the aromas we have stirred up.  When using the product be sure the appliances are empty of garments and dishes. Short HOT cycle does the trick with our product for the bio-cleaning.  The Ahh-Some isn't just for cleaning the insides, it is really used to purge all contaminants and gunk that is located where you can't see, typically where the drain is located.

• Like 1