Masterspas was I ripped off

Went to a big show today and they were selling master spas, ending up purchasing the TS 8.2 for $13.5k. Was obviously made out to be a great deal after getting money knocked off and lots of high pressure sales. As well as saying how tough it is to get a hot tub right now, this is there last one they can deliver without a month. 

While there I did some quick Google searches about the company and saw lots of positive things and good consumer reports. I saw a hot tub review website praising the company which I’ve now found to be a site paid for by master spas. As well as finding a lot of negative things about the company online. 

I’m still able to cancel the order and trying to find out what I can from people here.

Where are you located?

Lets take a step back. Who is the dealer and what is their reputation in your area? How long have they been in business? Who services their spas. Do they have an in house service department or do they outsource the work to a 3rd party? What good is a warranty if you can't get reliable service when needed.

What other brands did you look at before buying for comparison? 

7 hours ago, Hottubhelpmeout said:

Went to a big show today and they were selling master spas, ending up purchasing the TS 8.2 for $13.5k. Was obviously made out to be a great deal after getting money knocked off and lots of high pressure sales. As well as saying how tough it is to get a hot tub right now, this is there last one they can deliver without a month. 

The Big Show and a great deal.. If you think you are getting a better deal at a show lets look into that. Arena rental $10,000-$30,000 (CDN), Set up (moving spas to and from the show) $2-$400/spa more for a swim spa. Advertising the show in print, radio and on social media.. Not sure but I know it ain't cheap. Add up all the costs and they still have to incur the cost of their brick and mortar retail location...if they even have one. I would venture to say you would get the same or better deal on a Tuesday at their retail location.

7 hours ago, Hottubhelpmeout said:

As well as saying how tough it is to get a hot tub right now, this is there last one they can deliver without a month. 

All part of the high pressure sales tactic. They are having a big show sale but that is the last spa available!

What do you think your chances are of getting a call 3-4 weeks from now saying there was a problem at the manufacturer and their shipment has been delayed and sorry but you will have to wait? I could be wrong but I wouldn't put a $5.00 bet on it.

Did I get ripped off... The 8.2 is a large spa with 44 jets and 2 pumps. I have never sat in one... did you? The Neck and shoulder jet seat you might not fit under it and then it's a waste of a seat. They don't say what AMP pumps they are (Don't go by HP ratings they are often BS) What thickness is the cover? 3 year warranty on the important stuff like pumps, pack and plumbing... but is it pro-rated over the 3 year period where by year 2 you have to pay 50% on parts (their cost)? What do they charge for a "Trip" fee to come out and service the warranty? This can range from free to as high as $200 a trip. What was included in the sale? Delivery, Step Cover lifter and start up chemical kit is a common package included in price. These are all things you will need and can add up if not included.

Are you dealing in USD or CDN? I place MS as a mid tier spa and going by price did you get ripped off... you are in the ballpark for what THEY sell for. Is there a better spa at a better price with a better dealer out there in your area that is up to you to do your due diligence and my best advice is to do that before buying. Good Luck.

9 hours ago, Hottubhelpmeout said:

Went to a big show today and they were selling master spas

Ahh, the classic MS traveling circus..... Yeah it's terrible, MasterSpas doesn't seem to care about these guys traveling the country (into other MS dealer's territory) - as long as they keep selling tubs that's all they seem to care about.  And this is not new, they've been doing this for years.

What I find interesting is that unlike pretty much every other name brand hottub company lists their dealers on an interactive map so you as a prospective customer can locate your nearest dealer.  This is useful especially for existing customers who may have bought a home with a spa and want a dealer to service it (If I'm spending $15k on a hottub, you can bet I want the dealer's trained technicians to work on my spa if/when it needs service).  

Instead - MasterSpas has a form which you fill out, and then they will get back to you with a dealer to contact if there's one in your region.   That makes no sense - why not list this information and let the customers find their favorite dealer in the area?   Are they trying to hide their list of dealers out of embarrassment, or does it change too frequently for them to keep up with who's still selling their junk?

I saw a hot tub review website praising the company which I’ve now found to be a site paid for by master spas

Even worse if you use Archive.org to look at that site years ago, you'll see the owner of that site was a Master Spas authorized dealer, but he seems to completely forget mentioning that factoid to vistors coming to the site.  Now he apparently offers "consulting" services where he charges a few hundred dollars to send you an affiliate link to a garbage Wish.com tub fully made in China hahaha.    He's just an affiliate marketer who praises several brands while trashing those who don't pay him a commission.

I’m still able to cancel the order and trying to find out what I can from people here.

Absolutely, why not?  Did you pay in cash money?  If not call your bank - stop the payment, request a chargeback.  If you have not taken delivery of the spa, you should have no problem working with your bank to cancel the order. 

CST covered a lot of other points.  Take your time and research the local dealers in your region for all the top brands.   Which dealer has been selling/servicing the same brand of spas the longest?  Which has the best reputation?  Also know that not every dealer charges the same price for the spa because they all work on different profit margins - some have techs on payroll while others outsource, some have sales reps on commission while others are on salary positions.    In my own experience I didn't like my "nearest" hotspring dealer (big backyard makeover style store, lots of big ticket items and a sales rep on commission telling me what he thought I wanted to hear), so I found another Hotspring dealer equidistant from my rural home and ended up saving 20% in the process (same make/model/color spa, both dealers had to special order it, same things included with both spas - cover lifter, steps, 3 months chemicals, free delivery, etc).

If you can cancel your order, I'd suggest checking out some other brands locally and get some prices before you commit to anything.   Wet-testing is also extremely beneficial since jet horsepower numbers can be heavily inflated (horsepower basically means nothing - motor amperage ratings are more important, but this number isn't ever listed in the marketing materials).    Also know that many brands build different product tiers to fit every budget - sometimes these are bells/whistle upgrades, other times the changes between product tiers include increases to product overall lifespan (essentially thicker/better materials used for construction)

That said, I'd suggest the following brands might be worth considering:   Jacuzzi, Sundance, Caldera, Hotspring, Marquis, Nordic, Bullfrog, Beachcomber, Cal Spas

• Like 1