Hot spring grandee no heat and pump 1 not working

Andruha88

Did you also happen to take the gfci subpanel when you bought the hotspring?  Or did you use a normal generic hottub subpanel? 

Hotspring spas require two breakers (a 20 amp and 30 amp), they are not wired to a single 50-amp breaker, so that's why I'm asking.   It's a common mistake lots of people make when buying a used Hotspring Spa.

On 10/2/2021 at 4:41 AM, ratchett said:

Did you also happen to take the gfci subpanel when you bought the hotspring?  Or did you use a normal generic hottub subpanel? 

Hotspring spas require two breakers (a 20 amp and 30 amp), they are not wired to a single 50-amp breaker, so that's why I'm asking.   It's a common mistake lots of people make when buying a used Hotspring Spa.

If its not wired to 30/20, it wont work at all or work partially?

On 10/2/2021 at 10:33 AM, Andruha88 said:

I do have only one lever on the outside box, does that mean its single 50amp?

Yep.  Bingo, found the problem.

On 10/2/2021 at 10:37 AM, Andruha88 said:

Also what would be the signs of the wrong wiring?

Single 50-amp breaker is the sign your electrician didn't wire up the hottub properly.   All Hotspring Highlife spas use a 20amp and 30 amp breakers (one for the heater, and one for the pumps/electronics if I'm not mistaken).

image.thumb.png.016808838900120c21df85a9e7148197.png

19 minutes ago, Andruha88 said:

If its not wired to 30/20, it wont work at all or work partially?

I'm not an expert, so I'm afraid I don't know exactly how bad it is or what damage is done.  But yes, every time I see someone on the forums posting that they bought a used Hotspring hottub and they're complaining the system powers on but isn't heating or working properly, 90% of the time it's because the electrician didn't read the wiring diagram properly (which is printed and visible inside the equipment compartment for basically every hottub ever made from any manufacturer as this wiring diagram is required by law if I'm not mistaken) and tried to get creative with wiring up the spa to a 50-amp breaker like most traditional hottubs.  (Funny thing I've noticed is that about 50% of the times it's a DIY weekend warrior trying to save money by wiring up the spa themselves, the other 50% of the time seems to be caused by inexperienced professional electricians assuming they can wire up the spa like a traditional hottub).

Unfortunately that's the end of my expertise.  I don't know if the electronics are damaged due to the improper wiring, or if it can be easily resolved by obtaining the proper breakers and wiring up the spa correctly.   Hopefully no major damage is done and simply re-wiring the spa is all you need to do, but that's above my pay-grade lol.

If you're in a rush, I'd call the local Hotspring dealer and ask them for an electrician referral - they might have a guy they work with frequently in your region who is familiar with these spas and can help get you fixed up. 

We need pictures of the wiring in the IQ pack. What little I know about Hot Springs is that one set of 220 feeds connect to one block, the other set connects to another block in the controller and there is a hot wire that goes between them. That's why you have only one functional pump. I doubt there is any actual damage to the board.

Open the breaker panel to confirm that you have 1 50A breaker or 2 breakers, a 20A and a 30A. A single exterior handle might just be a disconnect.

Did you see this tub running before you bought it?

On 10/5/2021 at 3:38 PM, cranbiz said:

We need pictures of the wiring in the IQ pack. What little I know about Hot Springs is that one set of 220 feeds connect to one block, the other set connects to another block in the controller and there is a hot wire that goes between them. That's why you have only one functional pump. I doubt there is any actual damage to the board.

Open the breaker panel to confirm that you have 1 50A breaker or 2 breakers, a 20A and a 30A. A single exterior handle might just be a disconnect.

Did you see this tub running before you bought it?

It seems like i do have single 50amp, but in the box its somehow spliced into 6 wires and connected there correctly i believe based on diagram.

attached picture of iq in the next post