6 dash mystery error code on display

marcusa

Hi all, I have a 2005 Great Lakes Forte hot tub witha Balboa GVS500. When I turn my spa on, the only message I can receive on the display is six -'s. Here's a pic: https://imgur.com/a/vApj8Vl

There's no information about this error code in the manual and I can't find anything online. Everything else seems to work though. The jets and heater work. When I turn it on, it gets to temp. I'm guessing it's just running in some default mode. 

I've tried unplugging the top control and turning it back on. When I do that, nothing runs. I've also tried resetting the temp sensors by unplugging them and turning the tub on. I can't get this error code to go away and just get it to display the temp. I'd like to do something besides just throwing parts at it, although if I can't figure it out I'll suppose I'll just start with replacing the topside display and the sensors if there's no better way to go about it.

On 9/27/2021 at 10:59 AM, RDspaguy said:

A balboa system should run automated functions with the topside unplugged. The fact that yours does not suggests it is not the topside. I would test incoming voltage and sensors, and if those are good, it's probably the board.

Post pics of circuit board and wiring diagram.

Thanks for the response. Here are pics of the board and diagram. I tested the sensors in 80degree water and the only reading I could get was with my ohmeter set at 200k each sensor was reading about 22.7.

What voltage are you saying to test? The incoming 240V to the board? I'm pretty sure that's good because I have power to the jets and heater just fine.

Image (1).jpeg

Image.jpeg

https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=ms-android-uscellular-us-revc&source=android-browser&q=balboa+sensor+resistance+chart#imgrc=HRmzsRpemdUsIM

40 minutes ago, marcusa said:

I'm pretty sure

Not good enough. Test voltages, both 240v and 120v (red and black to white). The controls operate off 120v, and a problem with the breaker can cause low voltage to the controls, which will cause errors. Check for loose connections at the breaker and neutral pigtail too.

If it comes to part-swapping, I would just buy a new system. By the time you buy a topside and board you have paid for a new system with sensors and heater as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi. 

I had the 6 dash error on a gs100 equivalent to a vs100 in the states.  Changed topside no luck. Changed main PCB. Fixed problem. I think it's the program on the topside controller pic chip that gets corrupted and no option but to change board. I also tried a memory reset on the board without luck. Sorry expensive fix but hopefully avoids someone else buying a topside too.