Tiger River Heater GFCI Tripping

ScottDW

A few months ago, we had a power problem at our house.  Lost the neutral feeding the house.  I discovered that the 30 amp 2-pole GFCI breaker that feeds the heater on my Tiger River was tripped.  I replaced the breaker....it tested bad.  Since then, the breaker will trip at random.  I can go for weeks until it trips.  No logic as to when or why.  I put a clamp meter on the heater and it is pulling @ 27 amps.  That's a good number.  What am I missing as to why this happens at random?

• 3 weeks later...

I checked the connections and re-tightened all connections.  Of course the breaker reset properly but tripped sometime overnight.  I checked the amp draw of the heater and it was pulling 24 amps.  That's normal.  What am I missing?  Faulty breaker?  Would think if the breaker was defective it would be somewhat more consistent.  I'm at a loss.

From what I know the 30 amp breaker in question is only used for the heater.  There is also a 20 amp breaker that is for everything else that has never tripped.  I keep going to the breaker or relay board as a problem.  No way to test the relay board except look for obvious damage like scorch marks etc.  Only way to test the breaker to my knowledge is replace it.

• 2 months later...

I replaced the relay board.....I thought it was the culprit.  No difference.  So I then I disconnected the heater from the relay board to see if the heater was the problem.  The breaker held for several days but did trip again.  All wiring is correct.  I need to understand what else could trip the 30amp breaker.  The relay board and main control board are connected electrically but what else should I look at?  Could it be the sensors in the heater?

I tried disconnecting the ozone generator but it also proved to not be the problem.  Frustrated.