Ahhsome

SHOWEM

On 9/15/2021 at 12:06 PM, SHOWEM said:

I bought some ahhsome and had a question  does the water have to be balance before I use it? Can I just use the ahhsome then drain and then refill? Thanks

I check to ensure my pH is within range and add a bit of extra chlorine to my spa since my Ozonator burns off most chlorine.  First time I tried to use Ahhsome, I didn't have sufficient chlorine in the water and that seemed to affect the performance.

I prefer to dilute the gel AhhSome in a cup of hot water and then pour it into the spa.   I run my jets for 20 minutes, then turn the jets off for 10 and clean the scum at the water line.  Run the jets AGAIN for 20 minutes, and then off for 10 while cleaning any fresh scum.  I repeat this process 3-4 times until essentially nothing new is coming out of the plumbing.  And then I drain/refill.

NOTE: Do not let the biofilm scum dry/harden on your shell - big mistake I made my first time.  This stuff is nearly impossible to scrub off after it hardens, so be sure to wipe the scum off the water line before you start draining.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the reply’s! I was going to have a bucket of clean water handy and a big sponge to wipe up the gunk and rinse it in the bucket and just keep repeating the process. How long do you keep the pumps running for the gunk to start dissapating?

One more thing I’d like to ask I’m away 1-2 months at a time and was wondering if having a floating chlorine dispenser would be good to put in my hot tub? The heater is off and the pumps are programmed to come on each day for approximately 10 min. The tub is in Florida thank you again

On 9/19/2021 at 8:00 AM, SHOWEM said:

Thanks for all the reply’s! I was going to have a bucket of clean water handy and a big sponge to wipe up the gunk and rinse it in the bucket and just keep repeating the process

I wouldn't do that - you're trying to remove this stuff from the water.  I use a few paper towels and a pair of gloves, scoop up the scum and throw it into a trash bag immediately (try not to gag at how nasty the scum can be haha)

On 9/19/2021 at 8:00 AM, SHOWEM said:

How long do you keep the pumps running for the gunk to start dissapating?

Run the pumps for 20 minutes.  Then turn off the pumps, let the foam/water settle and then clean off the scum.  Turn pumps back on for 20 minutes to purge again.   Repeat until after a 4th or 5th time, no scum settles at the water line after running the jets for 20 minutes. 

On 9/19/2021 at 8:44 AM, SHOWEM said:

One more thing I’d like to ask I’m away 1-2 months at a time and was wondering if having a floating chlorine dispenser would be good to put in my hot tub?

That's a topic for another thread, I'd post that in the water chemistry section.   Loaded question with lots of variables.   In my experience with Ahhsome - the better I purge, the less chemicals I need to keep the water clean when I'm not using the spa for a week or two.    Purge your spa every time you drain/refill, and you shouldn't have too many problems.

Good luck!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

So just a follow up on purging and the rash I was getting. Every time I drain the hot tub (every 3-4 months) I purge it with awesome  and I think the other issue I had was the chlorine level, I think I was putting in a little too much. So I put in just under 2 teaspoons of granular chlorine every other day if I’m the only one using the tub and then once a week I put in 2 tablespoons of shock along with rinsing out the filters every 10 days. I have a hotspring flair and I can say I am rash free. My skin is sensitive to certain things so I just thought I would pass this along

• Like 2