Addendum to: HS Aria, D1 Triad Review & High Life Cost-Benefit Analysis

Ewood

** Addendum to Review:

Several days after posting the HS Aria, D1 Triad review & High Life cost-benefit Analysis:  I discovered an unintentional omission of significance:  Descriptive, historic analysis of a key manufacturing specification that inarguably, has objective impact on perception of product value and customer satisfaction.  A major factor prompting the onset of consumer Buyer’s Remorse is realizing you’ve had the ‘privilege’ of paying more …to receive less functionality.  The added cost of functional omission …as a compulsory ‘feature’.

The majority of (18 of the 35) jets on the High Life series Aria, are of the non-adjustable, small diameter, static variety. (Image attached below for reference)

Another compulsory ‘feature’ that comes at extra cost: More than half of the Aria’s jets cannot be interchanged to customize a seat’s massage effects to the preference of the discriminating luxury-conscious owner, (the target market, for the High Life luxury product line)

The cause of these major functional limitations, is the inclusion of the category of jets I have just described …commonly referred to as ‘bullet’ jets.  Those whom appreciate cruel irony, will find the backstory amusing, (possibly infuriating). More than a decade worth of analysis and discussion on this forum, reveals that the ‘bullet jet’ has long been associated as a KEY identifying characteristic of economy-class, average-at-best compromised quality products found at big-box merchants and wholesale warehouse club stores.

That’s right …The lowly bullet jet (comprising the majority type used) on the upscale Aria I had previously owned, had been justifiably derided hundreds of times on this forum …for their inclusion as a compromised, money-saving component, (lacking necessary parts required to provide both adjustability and interchangeability) that deliver sub-standard hydrotherapy.

The plentiful use of these tiny, immobile jets …have long been a tell-tale symptom by which top tier manufacturers are distinguished from inferior brands, shady marketing tactics, and 3rd string ‘economy line’ products within the industry.

From this forum, are pertinent quotes extracted from discussions concerning the ‘infamous’ bullet jet: (Thread title & year posted, for potential reader follow-up). After reaching the eye-opening forum consensus on the design, efficacy and value of products featuring the ‘bargain-basement’ jetting solution, …does anyone else feel the manufacturing specification seems incongruent with Hot Spring’s efforts in appealing to a more affluent, sophisticated consumer in their ‘High Life’ marketing?

For me, this would be a non-issue on a less exclusive, ‘value-oriented’ product line, with a correspondingly lower price point, that’s not being marketed as a performance hydrotherapy option.

"Moreover not all jets are identical.  Sure you can cram a bunch of tiny bullet jets into a hot tub - but these can be uncomfortable and make the skin itch. My tub only has 14 jets, but they are mostly all full size jets.”  (Hot Springs Flash or Jacuzzi 345, 2020)

“…Bullet jets are very small, unadjustable, low-flow, high pressure jets. Many companies used to "up" their jet counts by using large quantities of bullet jets in their spas. Eventually, people came to realize that large, rotating jets were better on most muscle groups than bullet jets.” (New Costco Sale on Discovery Oasis, 2007)

“For those of you who are Hot Springs Grandee fans:  Do you like the "bullet jets" (the 26 "directional precision jets" like the ones right above the Moto-Massagers & the other corner seat). I've always felt that bullet jets don't help much, and make my skin itchy after a while. 26 of the 39 jets in the spa are bullet jets, and that concerns me.   (Pulled the trigger on a HS Grandee, 2009)

“...One has about 30 bullet jets and 4-5 real jets that provide hydrotherapy, the rest...well there holes in the shell!  The other has real jets, all of them…”  (Diary, the purchase of a Costco tub 2009)

“...This spa has 42 jets with 24 of them being "bullet" jets (as they call them) this really gives you only 18 decent jets in the spa.  (Sundance Hartford--is This A Good Deal? 2009)

“I disagree and think the number of bullet jets is huge towards inflating jet count which means nothing to the feel of the tub.”  (Strong Spas purchased at Costco thread, 2011)

“...You are going to get better therapy from the larger jets than the tiny bullet jets.” (Price Check on Jacuzzi J365 & Sundance Chelsee, 2009)

“...These are called "bullet jets" and are cheap, and do not belong on the human back. If you are paying for a premium product, then get premium jets.” (Sundance Caldera vs Caldera Niagara, 2006)

“There are tons of cheap bullet jets in that brand …and the price does not reflect the cost to manufacture.”  (Decent price for Caldera Tahitian? 2006)

“They're Mini Jets (a little better than bullet jets) they are adjustable in direction and flow...”  (Blue Water Oceanside Extreme Spa Question, 2008)

Timely.  I'm closing in on a decision and this was not an element I've given much thought to...yet. I'm looking at Caldera and Hotpiint and one other brand that gets no love here - American Whirlpool. Thanks for posting. 

I'm also debating the value of a seperate circulating pump. Yes my energy costs will be about $20 less per month. However,  with a 4000 - 6000 price difference,  it will take 16 to 25 years to breakeven.  The higher priced tub really needs to be head and shoulders above the contender given the price difference. 

There is a reason that American Whirlpool gets little love here, it's because it's a mediocre tub by Maxx, the makers of Maxx and Vita. Cradle supported, thinner shells with mediocre insulation and have been known to not honor warranties. In short, there are many better tubs out there than a Maxx Spa product. Caldera and Hot Springs are made by the same company, Watkins Manufacturing. Either are good choices.

I would also look into Artesian, Marquis, Jacuzzi, Sundance and Bullfrog. All of these manufacturers have entry level up to premium experience tubs and all have the same quality foundations, just the options and number of jets/size of jets, pumps, etc are different.

I spent months looking and comparing tubs. Maxx products were originally on my list but after a dealer visit, changed my mind. Dealer was clueless, the construction quality of the Vita and American Whirlpools they had to show were only slightly better than a Dr Wellness by LPI. Low R value insulation and simply glued joints. I ended up with an Artesian model and it's all that a Maxx product is not. Other factors kept Hot Springs and Caldera out of the running for me (mainly I had a size limitation and I couldn't get a HS or a Caldera to meet my specs) which I found out after a dealer visit.

On 9/12/2021 at 4:37 PM, LynneA said:

Timely.  I'm closing in on a decision and this was not an element I've given much thought to...yet. I'm looking at Caldera and Hotpiint and one other brand that gets no love here - American Whirlpool. Thanks for posting. 

I'm also debating the value of a seperate circulating pump. Yes my energy costs will be about $20 less per month. However,  with a 4000 - 6000 price difference,  it will take 16 to 25 years to breakeven.  The higher priced tub really needs to be head and shoulders above the contender given the price difference. 

I’m glad to know that the issue raised is inspiring thought in others.  Some consumers may be sufficiently reassured with their planned purchase, by perusing an assortment of brief testimonials concerning a spa on a manufacturers website.  I felt there was room for some OCD-like attention-to-detail😁.  (On that note, I also find it curious that while Caldera and Hot Springs do post consumer product testimonials …D1 Spas does not).  

One’s specific use-case may not warrant the bullet jet issue, to be a determining factor, as it is for myself.  I’d just like to see the spa consumer provided with greater options to customize the user experience.  I think the ‘ideal’ product line would employ the trademark build quality/reliability/efficiency of Hot Springs, while emphasizing performance hydrotherapy and expanding the functional design envelope with useful innovations associated with D1 Spas.  

Though I haven’t had opportunity to wet test an Artesian spa, the specifications and generous diversity of optional feature impresses me.  I could see them significantly eroding market share from Watkins.  (I could possibly suffer from “spa-envy” when considering Cranbiz’s Artesian Nevis)😀

Personally, I don’t concern myself with chasing the last drop of energy savings. If it were conceivable that I’d somehow spent $75.00 monthly on spa operation, it would be entirely worth it (to me).

Best of luck on your hunt!

• Like 1

For me, the so called "bullet" jets are for targeted therapy, and are great in neck, foot, leg, and palm jets. Nobody wants a 4" rotating jet blasting the back of their head with 30gpm of flow. And the Sundance jets are high flow, at least on the older ones, even on the non-directional ones, which are adjustable for flow. 

The issue is that many consumers equate number of jets with quality of experience, which is of course not the case. So low quality spas will increase their jet count with useless, often irritating, jets in an effort to sell spas to the uninformed. High end spas put a great deal of attention into shell design, jet placement and selection, and water pressure and flow. D1 was mentioned, and they do, but they are by no means the only one.

I will also point out that jet count is not the only factor that gets manipulated for the sake of an impressive sounding ad. Pump hp is another factor, so much so that they have, over the last 20+ years, made it a meaningless term. Many pumps are rated for BHP, or brake horsepower, a term never meant for pumps that includes the momentary high amp draw and capacitor used at start-up, which are nothing at all to do with the amount of flow or pressure the pump produces in operation. In the industry we don't even look at hp anymore, we order pump motors based on amp draw and voltage, which do not lie.

• Like 2

‘Nobody wants a 4" rotating jet blasting the back of their head with 30gpm of flow.’

I’ve been shopping water pressure gauges to determine if I could possibly be amongst the rare exception.😁

True, there’s no shortage of marketing tactics to support a given product’s strengths, while mitigating the shortcomings.  Reminds me of Italian motorcycle manufacturer; Moto Guzzi, whose transversely mounted V-twin 1000cc engine struggled to output ‘60 something’ horsepower …redirected customer attention to ‘torque’ ratings.

The static (no moving parts) jet Sundance employs, sounds intriguing to me, and reflects a praiseworthy pursuit of hydrotherapy innovation. One day I hope to check them out.

‘High end spas put a great deal of attention into shell design, jet placement and selection, and water pressure and flow.’

Yes, agreed.  However, owing to the obvious fact of subjective sensation by spa users …withholding adjustability/interchangeability of jetting from the spa consumer, is not too distant from the concept of Best Buy selling me a 75” 4K UHD television …with factory LOCKED, non-adjustable default picture settings …presuming to TELL me ‘what my preferences should be’ or what’s the ‘best viewing experience’, irrespective of the light conditions in my living room.

‘D1 was mentioned,and they do, but they are by no means the only one.’

Absolutely. All of the top tier spa manufacturers distinguish themselves from lesser brands by many factors, some are the areas of focus you noted.