Hot tub motor - high speed failure (low-speed wire power not turning off)

vipertech

Hey guys, 

So I have a had a bit of a lengthy project. I have a used inifinity spas hot tub (balboa z-series spa pack) with two motors in it, and one of the motors starting getting super loud consistently, low or high speed. I opted to replace the motor because it's around 10 years old and there was a lot of corrosion. During replacement of the motor, I came across a loose cable in my GFCI breaker box that caused the motor relay 30A fuse to fry on the spa pack. So I repaired the loose wire, replaced the 30A fuse, and replaced the motor. We made lots of progress, as the motor now turns on low speed properly; however, when attempting to change that motor to high speed, it buzzes loudly then shuts off. Using a multimeter, I determined that it's a voltage overload, as testing the low speed with common at the motor is 240v (as it should be) when jets are set to low speed, and the high speed wire with common is 0v, which is also good. However, when I set the jets to high speed, the low-speed wire is still 240v with the common, and the high-speed with common is ALSO 240v, so they're both feeding power simultaneously. It seems like the relay isn't turning off the low-speed wire when it turns on the high. Does anyone have any suggestion or thought?

Thank you!

Post photos of the circuit board and the schematic on the inside cover so we can see how you have it all wired up. It does sound like a stuck/faulty relay. Remove board and look on back for darkened or burnt areas around the relays. Relays are repairable/replaceable. Some can DIY it but I take mine to a local electronics repair shop.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

Post photos of the circuit board and the schematic on the inside cover so we can see how you have it all wired up. It does sound like a stuck/faulty relay. Remove board and look on back for darkened or burnt areas around the relays. Relays are repairable/replaceable. Some can DIY it but I take mine to a local electronics repair shop.

Here are the photos. I checked the rear of the board already before I found the bad fuse initially and it looks really good, no burn marks or cold solder joints. 

PXL_20210909_151707957.jpg

PXL_20210909_151721071.jpg

@RDspaguy

Already tested voltage with pump disconnected as well, same situation. One question about the dipswitch; on the breakdown, I see a dipswitch for setting the circulation pump to 1speed or 2speed, but I do not see a dipswitch for the other pump (which is the one with the issue), am I missing something?

Also, where would I be able to find these particular relays? A brief google search did not seem to pull any identical relays. 

Thanks!

You are telling the system that you are using the 2-speed pump, in pump1 plug, to operate the heater and filtration.

I'm not sure myself, as I don't rebuild boards. I leave that to electronics guys. But there are threads here within the last year where people have ordered relays. Not sure if they are the same ones, but you might try getting creative in the search bar and see if you can find them.