Try to balance or drain?

Susanj

I got to our vacation rental and this is what our spa looked like!  
Would you try to balance this or would you just drain and refill? I’m thinking the latter,  because everything balanced except for the sanitizer ; there was no chlorine when I tested and the chlorine cartridge (Frog  system ) was empty. 

82872621-0B9A-4F89-9003-B38F77F4C9CB.jpeg

F82C8BB3-F7D5-4EE5-8FD8-A3D34F2E93C8.jpeg

Well I’ve answered my own question. I’m draining it because shocking hasn’t helped and it’s been 2-3 hours. But often if we have rental guests coming soon , we don’t have the option to wait 2-3 hours. We have to make that judgement quickly. Sometimes it does clear up . But I guess not when it’s this bad. Cloudy is one thing but green is another. And foam. 

2 hours ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

Run some Ahh-Some through it... Don't want it coming back.

Yes.

1 hour ago, Susanj said:

Water was just changed a month ago. 

Doesn't matter. How many guests have used it since then? Do they shower first? Or spill things, or do things, in the tub? 

When I maintained vacation rentals in Tahoe I went by a very simple rule, and it even rhymes: "When in doubt, dump it out." Often it is not worth trying to save.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Susanj said:

Can a hot tub go a day without chemicals on a refill? 

Yes. 

My old spa is about 350 gallons, and no big deal to drain and refill; if I'm there during this, I use the under-$100 immersible pump I use for my above-ground pool.  Biggest "work" for me is manually bailing out the last two inches of water, and then cleaning (rubbing) the sides/surface by hand.

When filling, I usually add fresh water some, then drain again, maybe even repeat, to get as much of the "old" water out of the plumbing.

• Like 1

With the Frog@Ease system, if it gets to 0 PPM on the smartchlor cartridge for longer than a day, the water will cloud up like that. I had it happen once before I got the hang of interpreting my test results and trying to get maximum life out of the chlorine cartridge.

Last time, my smartchlor cartridge was under .5 PPM, I saw that the water was starting to cloud up, swapped out the cartridge even though it appeared to have stuff still in it and within a day the water was chrystal clear again and chlorine was between .5 and 1 PPM like it's supposed to be.

• Like 1

Cusser-Re: When filling, I usually add fresh water some, then drain again, maybe even repeat, to get as much of the "old" water out of the plumbing.

Would’n’t  you almost have to fill completely to activate the jets  in order to get it to the plumbing?

The Jet Clean didn’t get any gunk out this time like it did 2 months ago. 

20 hours ago, Susanj said:

Cusser-

Would’n’t  you almost have to fill completely to activate the jets  in order to get it to the plumbing?

Not on my 1988 CalSpa, just need to get the water level over the drain.  If I need to, I can plug the skimmer hole with a big rubber stopper.