Bubbling in hot tub after draining and refilling: normal?

MarinCountySpa

My mom and I recently tried our hand at draining, cleaning, and refilling our Hotsprings Jetsetter portable spa ourselves.

When we added the chlorine just now and turned on the jets, we got a lot of bubbling (see photos).  (The bubbles seemed different than foam, though maybe not!)

We also cleaned the filters, and the instructions on the filter cleaner indicated there may be some foaming, and if so, to add anti-foamer. (The instructions indicated, though, that the foam might be because the filters were not rinsed enough, and we rinsed the heck out of them!)

What I'm wondering is if we need to treat the water with anti-foamer, or if it is normal to bubble initially after cleaning.

My thought was that perhaps overnight the chlorine needed to somehow settle... or maybe we were wrong to turn the jets on after adding the chlorine?

(We cleaned the tub with baking soda and water.)

Appreciate any advice!

20210903_213142.jpg

20210903_213146.jpg

Screenshot_20210903-214229_Gallery.jpg

When one drains a hot tub, cannot get ALL the water out, some residual stays in the plumbing.  As a chemist in the soap and detergent industry, it takes very little surfactant (surface active agent such as soap from fats from bathers' skin or detergent) to make foam like that.

I'd try a little silicone anti-foam.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cusser said:

When one drains a hot tub, cannot get ALL the water out, some residual stays in the plumbing.  As a chemist in the soap and detergent industry, it takes very little surfactant (surface active agent such as soap from fats from bathers' skin or detergent) to make foam like that.

I'd try a little silicone anti-foam.

Thank you, Cusser! I wll try that. :)

Jetsetter ❤️ - best three seater in the market IMO haha

On 9/4/2021 at 12:58 AM, MarinCountySpa said:

We also cleaned the filters, and the instructions on the filter cleaner indicated there may be some foaming

I'm betting this is where the foaming issues came from. I've had suds issues when I didn't adequately flush my filters after cleaning (although that was before I invented a widget to powerclean my filters..... can't wait to share this widget with the market - it's been extremely effective for my needs cleaning the TriX filters monthly)

• Like 1