Testing a 240v Pump on a 240v Dryer Outlet

rmcderm313

Hi All,

I've been testing/fixing my pumps using a 120v wall plug for short durations.  I've found in some cases that on 120v a pump won't spin up without help, but when I hook it up to the 240v connection in the tub it works fine.  I have an unused 240v dryer outlet which is a NEMA 10-30 style from my research.  I'd like to use this outlet to bench test my pumps on 240v.  Can I just use a pump cable and replace the board connection side with a 240v NEMA 10-30 plug?

I do realize that I could also just plug the pump into the board with it outside the tub, but honestly the less I can touch the board the better I'll feel.  When the tub is working I'd much rather leave things alone.

Is 240v power from this type of outlet OK to run a 240v hot tub pump?

Thanks for any insight.

Rob

IMG_1886.jpg

If I was in that situation, and knew what I was doing, I would likely try that myself, and just be very careful.

On those older 3-terminal 240VAC connections, there needs to be a 4th/separate grounding wire.  I can't remember offhand which of the two terminals are "hot" legs and which is the neutral, see Google.

• Thanks 1