Dr/dry error code Balboa

Angel80424

Hello all 👋

Hoping for some help, we recently purchased a used hot tub, we seen it running with no issues at that time. (That we knew of anyways) so they drained it and we brought it home. It is an elite spas hot tub shell...but it is a balboa vs510sz.

we keep getting a dr error code, and sometimes a flo, and I even seen a ohh. It has new filters and I have checked for air locks, all the gate valves are open. It will run just fine on circulate, but when you push the button on jets 1 to turn on the jets it only runs for a few minutes then shuts off with a code and won’t turn back on. Even if I reset the breaker. Jets 2 the one that runs some jets and the waterfalls seems to be alright I think. ( runs for 15-20 🤷‍♀️ And then kicks out without an error on the display) new to the hot tub world so any advice  would be greatly appreciated! Thank you 😊 

Thanks for your reply! I have tried running it without the filters and still get the same error. Kind of busy right now..it will be a few days before I have time to take the panel off and get some pictures. But I will post them as soon as I get some time. Thanks again for your response 🙂 and yes..when the jets are on they all seem good for water flow/pressure. Yes we have a multimeter..not very well educated on how to use it properly though 😂 mostly use it for testing continuity on things. 

• 3 weeks later...

Ok..so I ran some spa cleaner through the hot tub..and cleaned/drained/refilled. I have not gotten the dr/dry code yet. But did get one hl or Hf..I can’t remember. I have not taken the panel off to look at the control pack yet. Jets one runs fine on circulate/low speed, but when I push it again for jets/high speed..it will run for a bit and then shut off..the light stays on and I when I push the button all it does is click in the control pack...but nothing happens. If it calls for heat after the pump has kicked out..sounds like water boils in the heater but the pump won’t kick in. If I wait like a half hour or so I can push twice for high speed and it will work again for a few and then do it all over again. 

DA1758D3-6926-4271-9422-27F0C8856617.jpeg

118B5EA9-A5A9-4006-8DDF-0661CCA576BD.jpeg

1EF68795-A409-4E41-9AFC-C0BFCA2C6DE7.jpeg

Sorry will need one more photo of the little red square along the bottom edge of the circuit board. It has little white up/down switches on /in it and is titled "Switchbank A". If you look at the schematic top right it will say how you want the "dip" switches set. We just want to make sure it is all set properly.

When the pump quit was it hot to the touch? how long can you keep your hand on the pump?

I turned off A7..because the blower is gone. Should A2 be off also? There is 2 pumps..one pump is the circ on low..and then if you press it again it goes on high and runs some of the jets (that’s the one that quits on high speed) and the other runs the other jets and waterfalls. Would any of this have to do with it getting too hot though? 

Sorry no video available

All the "Dip" switch settings are correct. When it tries to turn on in low speed does it make a hard buzzing sound? 

2 possibilities I see. 1.. pump is fried and will need new replacement. 2) the relay that controls either the high speed or the low speed is stuck and it is sending power to both speeds at the same time. 

Do you have a multi meter and have knowledge of how to safely use it? Need to disconnect the pump from the circuit board and test the power coming off the board in low speed and then again in high speed and see if it is sending power to both speeds at the same time. If it is it can be repaired. 

Watch this video. Is this the sound yours makes... hard buzz then clicks off? 

Ok..will def do that. I had looked in as best as I could when this started..and couldn’t “see” anything…spun the impeller around a few times and didn’t seem like there was much resistance. But when we get it out I will have a look. The thing is…when it runs for however long..there is a lot of power/water flow coming out of the jets..and if you take out the filters and run for a few seconds..it pulls hard enough to get a vortex going and get air ( I put the skimmer door down so that only happened for a second) I ran it again this morning without the filters to see if without that restriction it might make a difference..but no such luck 😕 is there a way to test the pump/motor itself without taking it out yet? If you wouldn’t mind even just telling me what to search for..I can look it up myself.

Thanks again for your help and time! It is truly appreciated 🤗 

• 2 weeks later...

Well hello again! We took out the pump and there was no debris or anything restricting flow. Thought we might as well replace the capacitor to see if that solved the problem. Which apparently it did not 😔 so I am just going to order a replacement pump I guess. Not sure how to test any of the other things you mentioned in the previous post. Again..thank you for your help!