Locating a leak?

EvanVanVan

There's a slow leak somewhere in the front right corner of our hot tub. Water is constantly leaking from under the base in that area. It's not obvious where exactly it's leaking from but it's not from any of the pump connections accessible in the front panel.

Is there a way of finding and repairing it? We've never drained the tub and lifted it on it's side, but apparently that's possible to do. I imagine it requires disconnecting the electric.

Is that a feasible next step? I'm not sure what we'll find under there and what's visible and what's not. Figured I would ask here before going through all that trouble. 

Any other advice?

Thanks

First off, when they build most spas they put a sheet of plastic on the bottom. Where the water comes out is the low point of the deck and has no bearing on where the leak actually is.

90% of leaks are in the equipment area or drain. Check THOROUGHLY before moving on to other possibilities.

What brand and year? Post pics of equipment area.

Lol ok, I'll double check. For simplicity sake I was saying mine/our hot tub...but I'm really describing my parent's hot tub and I don't live there lol. It's a Dimension Aurora II circa 2002-2003 somewhere so pretty old. They've replaced most of the major components. I'm headed up there in a couple weeks. Will investigate more thoroughly and report back.

Thank you for the help.

If not in the equipment bay or drain, it's probably the light fitting. Those D1s are notorious for it.

I'll explain how to fix it tomorrow sometime. It's a process, and it's late. Maybe there's a video out there. It's not hard, frankly it will take longer to explain it typing with one thumb on my phone than it would take me to do it. Ok, maybe that's an exaggeration, but you get the point. 😉

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally got here and got the sides removed. The equipment area was bone dry. The (single) light fixture doesn't appear easily accessible from the equipment area, but the large diameter hose that the electric is snaked through to it was also dry. 

I removed the side where the majority of the water was leaking and found very saturated Styrofoam from way up high by the top of the filters. After removing it I found it was actually the fixture around the bleeder valve that was leaking. I'm assuming this video is essentially the fix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4D6rtK06b4 - Clean up the old sealant and re-caulk with silicone. We bought a "aquarium safe" 100% silicone (https://www.dap.com/products-projects/product-categories/caulks-sealants/silicone/all-purpose-silicone/) and a Marine Epoxy (https://www.pcepoxy.com/products/emergency-repair/pc-marine/). Not sure which one we're going with yet.

While working I marked the water line with a pencil and unfortunately it still appears to be leaking somewhere else. Is there anyway to remove the "screw" portion of the jets to access the fixture itself? I'm wondering if I'll be able to determine where the leak is located from inside the tub. Once I knew the bleeder was leaking it was pretty obvious that it was loose inside the tub.

Thanks

edit: sorry about the large photos, wish I could resize or hide in a spoiler tag or something, but that doesn't look like an option.

1-leak 1.jpg

2-leak 2.jpg

3-waterline.jpg

4-leaking waterline.jpg

5-waterline 2.jpg

225874938_6-wetstyrofoam.jpg