2nd Heater wire has burned up on me

First post here, 

I have had a heater wire burn up on me.  Dang thing almost caught fire from the looks of it!  What do you think, is this even repairable in your opinion.  Guys want $125 just to bench test it.

Crazy thing is, this exact wire burnt up on me a couple of years ago on the original board.  Luckily I had a spare board and that one just burnt out on the very same wire.  Is this common for the Gecko boards?

20210816_170900.jpg

20210816_170908.jpg

20210816_171021.jpg

No, not for gecko specifically, but heater connections/relays are the most common circuit board failure in any brand. Loose or dirty wire connections, or wire too small for the 24 amp load, will produce alot of heat, and once the circuit is damaged arcing starts and chars everything. This can also originate in the relays themselves, though in this case I suspect a connection or wire issue.

I had a heater connection burn up on me as well on a Balboa board/heater.  Mine was using the copper tabs instead of wires.  I suspect a loose connection (based on feedback here).  Since then I've made it part of my monthly routine to check those connections with a small torque wrench (specs were in the heater and board manual) to make sure they haven't vibrated loose at all.

I also had an extra board and also ended up sending my burned board off to be fixed.  It came back looking pretty good, but I haven't swapped it back in to test it yet.

Good luck,

Rob

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

rmc,

Did your burned up board look like mine?

I ask because I've contacted a repair place and they recommended a replacement board, then told me I need the box too (which I don't think I need a new box, heck iv'e got 2 of em).

And do you happen to remember who you sent your board to? 

I will definitely be re tightening those connections because yes I think they both vibrated loose on me...

Thanks!