Coast Spas

Hi 

I have been offered a Coast Spa that is definitely in need of maintenance - would any be able to advise on how I can get the specification on the spa.  In the attached photos the model number is visible but I cant make it out. 

Would anyone recognise this model number 

Thanks 

IMG_20210807_174911.jpg

IMG_20210807_174754.jpg

Screenshot_20210808-115931.jpg

@CanadianSpaTechis right. You will be rebuilding tge frame, cabinet, pkumbing, and probably equipment, if you can manage to move it with no frame and not damage the shell. Run, don't walk, in the opposite direction. You don't want it, and they are trying to avoid the $500 or so it will cost them to get that junk out of their yard. Don't be the sucker that falls for it.

Between myself and Canadaguy you have over 50 years of repair experience telling you not to touch it. You should listen.

• Like 2

Oh boy. That's in tough shape. (And I'm being nice on that because this is a public forum)

Listen to the two experts (OK, using that term loosely 😂) The cost to refurb that tub if it is sitting in your yard is going to run several thousand dollars and countless hours of time. It may not even make it to your yard.

Figure on a total rebuild if you ignore the advice here and actually get it home in one piece. Chances are that you will crack the shell moving it. You are most likely going to have to replace the Spa pack and topside, most, if not all of the plumbing. New jets, new cover and new frame and enclosure and at today's lumber cost, that won't be cheap. Reinsulate it and hope that nothing else is wrong. This is a losing proposition.

• Haha 1

You do you, but I've seen free spas in the FB classifieds in better condition than that sucker lol.

Hottubs have the best lifespan when left filled with balanced water and running.  Serviced/maintained as needed.

Also know that rubber seals will dry up and crack quickly once a spa has been left drained/emptied.  This is not a simple weekend warrior fix, this is a complete rebuild of every component.  And even then, you're still dealing with a possibly dry-rotted shell.  So you'll do all this work only to have it crack once filled and used.

I watch the used classifieds weekly for fun (I enjoy seeing how different brands construct their spas, and how they hold up to use/abuse over time).   The best deals go fast (pros looking for spas to flip) so you need to act within 24 hours on any good deals you see, but at least once or twice a month I see a good name brand spa in working condition (holds water, functional) in the $1000 to $2000 price range (sometimes I see people selling them for $500 just because it came with the house and they don't want it).

When you add up the cost for new framing and cabinet lumber, new cover, new spa-pack electronics, new motor/jets/plumbing as needed, and blood/sweat tears, it's will be far cheaper to buy a spa in working condition and fix that up as opposed to bringing a dead spa back to life.   Also keep in mind that plumbing can be a major headache as different leaks appear at ambient temperatures verses heated to 100F.

Oh yeah, and I'm pretty sure there's still a shortage of raw parts right now (manufacturing demand for new spas outstrips supply lines right now).  Meaning it might be hard to acquire the replacement parts needed to finish the project.  I remember earlier this year some woman was waiting six months for a replacement control board to fix her three seater and looking for an alternative fix.

• 9 months later...
On 8/8/2021 at 1:02 PM, CanadianSpaTech said:

DO NOT GET INVOLVED WITH THIS SPA!

You are being suckered. I will bet a $20 donation to my local food bank that when you go to pick it up the bottom will fall out. 

Free Spas are never free and that one is a money pit

You may take $20 to your local food bank IMG_20220115_104405.thumb.jpg.9d5c368c518c7721adf39fee96658b75.jpg

You asked for our opinions. We gave them to you. 

I'm happy that it worked out for you. Now go enjoy it.

I will ask, how much did you spend to get this in working condition? Not to find out if it really was worth it but to give others an idea on what one may need to spend to refurbish a used hot tub.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, cranbiz said:

You asked for our opinions. We gave them to you. 

I'm happy that it worked out for you. Now go enjoy it.

I will ask, how much did you spend to get this in working condition? Not to find out if it really was worth it but to give others an idea on what one may need to spend to refurbish a used hot tub.

I done most of the labour myself, stripped it and moved to New location by myself - built a new frame with wood in region of £100, £150 to get lifted in - I removed the pumps and blower unit and took them apart and tested them.  £200 for a new power supply to run the tub, £100 for new concrete base and £100 for drainage 

Just have to insulate and PVC panel the sides and I'm done