The future of sanitization? Novel method of generating H2O2 in-situ a possibility in the distant future hottubs/spas?

ratchett

Hey all!  Just browsing around headlines in my various news feeds when I came across this new method of generating hydrogen peroxide on-demand utilizing a catalyst made from gold and palladium which takes in hydrogen and oxygen to form the H202 ( more info here -  https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/07/210701112652.htm )

Now I'm familiar with the saltwater technology utilized by Hotspring spas and other brands.  And it got me wondering, could this be a possible future for the luxury spa market?  I'm envisioning a system similar to the Hotsprings Freshwater salt system with topside replaceable cartridges and a circulation pump to keep water flowing constantly however instead of generating chlorine from the saltwater, it would be generating a proper dosage of hydrogen peroxide.  Obviously there are a ton of variables here, but could this be a theoretical future for maintaining water without the need for conventional chlorine or bromine?  Or would there be byproducts of utilizing hydrogen peroxide to sanitize for prolonged periods of time? 

NOTE: I am not in any way advocating anyone start experimenting with dumping gallons of hydrogen peroxide to sanitize their spa like some strange snake-oil routine you found online.  But I'm legitimately curious if a continuous-feed system could be utilized with hydrogen peroxide to keep the water sanitized in a spa.

H2o2, while not approved as a sanitizer, is used in conjunction with uv in some places (popular around Boulder, Co). I have read studies that suggest that h2o2 is produced by uv, just as ozone is produced from oxygen, in the uv system and accounts for the oxidizing potential of uv. As I recall it's related to wavelength. 

• Thanks 1