Prodigy 1999 with part-time leak

RandySea

For the past year or so, my 1999 Hot Springs Prodigy has been leaking. At worst, it drops an inch or more per week. An application of FixALeak stops the leakage for a couple of weeks, then it starts up again slowly.

My dealer couldn't find a leak, although he did recommend I change in spa light fixture and gasket in case that was the problem. Did it, but it made no difference. There is no obvious water in the motor compartment.

In the heat of summer, I don't normally use the spa. I just turn it down as far as it goes - 80°. That keeps the circulating pump going for filtering. I'd like to just disable the heater completely, but I can't see how to do that. This summer I thought of a way to get some benefit from the spa. I just drained it (regular maintenance) and filled it with cold water. Great for soaking. I flip the breaker to keep it from going back up to 80°. Then twice a week, I turn it for one 15-minute clean cycle, adding chlorine each time.

So here's the oddity where "part-time" comes into my subject line. Since I've been doing this, there doesn't seem to be any leakage. I have not put in any more fixaleak in quite a while. Given these facts, any idea what could cause a leak only when the tub is turned on, even without running the jets more than for two clean cycles per week?

1 hour ago, RandySea said:

Then twice a week, I turn it for one 15-minute clean cycle, adding chlorine each time.

Not enough.

1 hour ago, RandySea said:

Since I've been doing this, there doesn't seem to be any leakage. I have not put in any more fixaleak in quite a while. Given these facts, any idea what could cause a leak only when the tub is turned on, even without running the jets more than for two clean cycles per week?

Too many to list. The good news is it's probably not the jet gaskets. 🤞

The fact that it stops (or seems to) when off just means it is a pressure leak. It could be a pump seal, gasket, or drain plug o'ring, hose clamp leak, diverter valve o-rings, main drain leaks (there are often 2) at the valve or cap, any of several dozen glue fittings, etc...

I will also point out that evaporation can easily account for this loss, especially with an old or poor fitting cover. And evaporation would slow alot at colder water temps. How sure are you that the fix-a-leak actually stopped it?

No question the fixaleak stopped it each time for a while. That makes evaporation an unlikely cause. Also, it was no different in deep winter than in 90°+ summer.

We have a cover in very good condition. I haven't seen any water at either drain outlet.

In any case, you've given me some suggestions to raise with the service people. I did order a new Prodigy late last year, but their estimate for having one to deliver is late fall or early winter. But if I could fix this leak, I'd be very happy to keep my old one for a few more years. We built a deck to fit around it. The new Progidy has different dimensions and we'd have to do some deck mods. Finding a carpenter to do that could take a very long time where we live.

Well, I start a leak diagnosis by removing sides if possible (yours is piece built, with each slat stapled top and bottom) and/or setting it up on some cinder blocks so I can get under it to track it to the leak source. Hot Springs also uses 2 different densities of spray foam which causes water to flow or pool away from the leak point(s).

Typical leak points are in the equipment bay (of course), the light, plumbing drain barbs (where the small drain hoses connect to the jet lines or come together at tees or the drain fitting), and diverter o-rings.

If you would like to see what's going on in there, check out my thread on biofilm, where I am doing freeze damage repairs on an old (2002 I think) hot springs.

https://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?/topic/52536-ever-wonder-what-biofilm-looks-like/&do=getNewComment

• Like 1