Balboa TP600 - Jets coming on regularly

Jos1e

I wonder if anyone may be able to help with the issue above please?

When the jets come on in our tub our electricity meter goes into overdrive and it's costing us a fortune!  We've set the tub to rest mode thinking this would stop it, but I was just outside and heard the jets come on again.  I don't think the jets need to come on for filtration to take place?  Is there a way to stop the jets coming on please other than when we're in it and want them on?

We were advised that we only needed to set filtration to an hour a day as there are only 2 of us using the tub generally.

Thanks for any advice as this is very expensive!

10 hours ago, Jos1e said:

When the jets come on in our tub our electricity meter goes into overdrive and it's costing us a fortune!  

Your heater is twice as costly as your jets on high, and about 6 times as costly as the jets on low.

10 hours ago, Jos1e said:

We've set the tub to rest mode thinking this would stop it, but I was just outside and heard the jets come on again. 

The spa will turn on low speed jets to heat, and every half hour or so for a minute to check temp.

11 hours ago, Jos1e said:

I don't think the jets need to come on for filtration to take place?

Usually do with a balboa system, but not always. What brand? Post pics of circuit board, wiring diagram, and equipment area and we can tell for sure.

Is there a way to stop the jets coming on please other than when we're in it and want them on?

Maybe. Post the requested pics.

We were advised that we only needed to set filtration to an hour a day as there are only 2 of us using the tub generally.

By whom? If your spa has a 24/7 circulation pump you don't even need that, but using timed filtration only I recommend 2- 2hr minimum cycles per day.

this is very expensive!

Getting a spa hot in the first place is, but keeping it hot and normal use shouldn't be more than about $50/month in most cases.

Post those pics and we'll see what we can do.

Many thanks for your prompt response.

Unfortunately, there isn't an option on our tub to have jets on low - it's full blast or nothing. When we turn the jets on, the meter goes into overdrive and spins about 6 times faster than it would do normally, so I do know it's the jets driving this. 

There is a small outlet that blows bubbles into the tub every so often, which I assumed was what measured the heat and kept things ticking over.  

Sorry, I thought Balboa was the brand?  There's no branding on the actual machine - it's a TP600.

It was the company we bought the tub from who told us we only needed to set the filter to come on once a day.

We weren't given any diagrams of the circuit board or electrics tec., I'm afraid.

Yeah, you'll have to open it up and take pics. 

A spa with a single speed pump is rare in the extreme, unless it does have a 24/7 circulation pump.

3 hours ago, Jos1e said:

There is a small outlet that blows bubbles into the tub every so often, which I assumed was what measured the heat and kept things ticking over.  

Every so often? 

3 hours ago, Jos1e said:

Sorry, I thought Balboa was the brand?  There's no branding on the actual machine - it's a TP600.

Balboa does not make spas. They are the leading manufacturer of spa control systems used in many brands of spa. TP600 is the topside control, not the spa or even control system, just the display and buttons.

The fact that your control says balboa on it suggests that it is an aftermarket system. Is this a used spa? 

There is only so much I can do from here, and without pics to go by, it's not much.

Sorry, no it doesn't say Balboa on it - that's the manual that came with it.  It was new.  Think we'll probably have to try the company we got it from - they're just spectacularly unhelpful.  I'll see what I can do about photos.  Thank you