Copper heater jumper strap corroded

Ariel01

I forgot my hose was on and I overfilled my hot tub; now it won’t turn on. I opened the heater housing and found that a copper jumper strap has corrosion on it. Everything else I can see inside my hot tub looks fine and the water didn’t touch the control panel; can a corroded strap be the cause of my hot tub not turning on? I tried several times but the breaker won’t stay in the on position. 23289AE6-269D-4B08-95EB-5E3ADD29A0CB.thumb.jpeg.d9611a6e6ed47750092146d6323558c2.jpegThanks. 

Disconnect it (power off) from the circuit board using the instructions below. Lift the copper tabs up so they can't touch anything and try the breaker. If the breaker hold when disconnected replace the heater element ($50) If it still trips disconnect each component one at a time until you find the component that is tripping the breaker.

balboa-manualtroubleshootingandservice-reva-43-1024.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Replace the heater element. Should say on the white sticker on the chrome heater tube if it is 5.5 KW or 4 KW. 

6 hours ago, Ariel01 said:

now water is leaking out of the screw area. 

Did you follow the directions and hold the small 5/16" (or 1/4" or 3/8") nut under the copper tab while loosening the 3/8" nut on top of the copper tabs?

You need... https://www.spadepot.com/Universal-Flo-Thru-Spa-Heater-Element-10in-P772

• Like 1

When installing the new element important to ensure the element is not touching the walls of the chrome heater tube. Place your finger inside the tube and hold the element in the center while tightening the nuts. Look down the tube once tight and make sure it's not touching or it will short out. 

• Like 1

Yes I followed the instructions exactly and made sure the bottom nut didn’t turn with the top one but the water was coming up out of the large nut that is attached to the heating element and the screw thing was so corroded it broke off lol I’m having all the luck. None of it started leaking until I cleaned off the corrosion. The other strap looked completely fine so I’m not sure how this one got as bad as it did and ok thank you I’ll make sure the new element isn’t touching anything when I attempt to install it. Thanks so much for your help! 

• Like 1

There is a small rubber o-ring that sits on the element on the inside of the heater tube and gets pulled up against the chrome tube to form a seal when the large nuts get tightened. When you install the new element make sure these don't fall off. Number 7 below...

Hot Tub Spa - Heater Troubleshooting Guide - PoolAndSpa.com Info And Tips

• Thanks 1