Ozone Help

gerd1986

Hi There,

After managing to get the FLO error sorted, I'm moving on to sanitation. My Hot Tub has an OZone fitted but is obviously not in use as it's been standing for years and I would therefore like to replace it.

I have looked for the one I have in the UK but I'm unable to find it, can I replace this with something else?

Secondly there is a tube connected to the bottom which connects to an Ozone jet but nothing at the top, should there be a tube connected to the top?

Pictures PXL_20210722_093102635.thumb.jpg.69a68baa5cf9f1ae753f6abaf20c495b.jpgPXL_20210722_093112637.thumb.jpg.180811eaedd8ac52621712a9723fa5c7.jpgPXL_20210722_093126858.thumb.jpg.f3e310dc62e6ef96fc57cf9494b0496f.jpgPXL_20210722_093146550.thumb.jpg.89ad2b9f7e8931480427b75a47156eff.jpgPXL_20210722_093156980.thumb.jpg.a97187d13df5cc58794f4a5677252308.jpgPXL_20210722_093215776.thumb.jpg.d2da7049da0f92728948c65c40a60d31.jpgd, many thank for your help.

Prozone Injector V3 600002 Red

Do you see one of these anywhere? Might be red might be blue.

Check that one way check valve it was likely the cause of the original failure. 100% replace it anyway.

Is the unit 120V or 240V.

The 3/8" hose should come off the bottom of the unit and go to the injector pictured above and then to the plumbing with the one way check valve in between the unit and the injector.

Do not put an ozone in that spa. The plumbing does not keep the ozone in contact with the water long enough to deplete it, so you get an ozone buildup under the cover that destroys the cover. You will replace your cover every couple of years and see no real help from the ozone.

An ozone injection system needs a mazzei (venturi) in the water line followed by 30 or so feet of pipe before reaching the spa. Newer ones also have mixing chambers and/or gas off chambers.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 12:13 PM, CanadianSpaTech said:

Prozone Injector V3 600002 Red

Do you see one of these anywhere? Might be red might be blue.

Check that one way check valve it was likely the cause of the original failure. 100% replace it anyway.

Is the unit 120V or 240V.

The 3/8" hose should come off the bottom of the unit and go to the injector pictured above and then to the plumbing with the one way check valve in between the unit and the injector.

No red or blue one of these anywhere.

240v

A tube goes from the bottom of the ozone unit, to the check value, straight to the ozone jet.

On 7/22/2021 at 4:22 PM, RDspaguy said:

Do not put an ozone in that spa. The plumbing does not keep the ozone in contact with the water long enough to deplete it, so you get an ozone buildup under the cover that destroys the cover. You will replace your cover every couple of years and see no real help from the ozone.

An ozone injection system needs a mazzei (venturi) in the water line followed by 30 or so feet of pipe before reaching the spa. Newer ones also have mixing chambers and/or gas off chambers.

Ah ok, I thought as it has it on the main board and the connector it was original.

What would you recommend I do to keep the tub clean? I fill up from my swimming pool which is stable, but after a few days it begins to smell a bit when I open it up, I chuck a little liquid chlorine in and it's fine for a few more days but I'm trying to find a more long term solution?

Thank you both for all your help!

9 hours ago, gerd1986 said:

Ah ok, I thought as it has it on the main board and the connector it was original.

It is original. Doesn't change a thing about what I said. That's how they used to do it before they learned better, and some cheapo tubs still do. I've been fixing these things for 26 years. Trust me, don't put an ozone in it or you will regret it in a few years.

What would you recommend I do to keep the tub clean?

Use chlorine. Read the dichlor/bleach method in the chemistry section, or just raise cya manually and use bleach/ sodium hypochlorite.

but after a few days it begins to smell a bit when I open it up,

One person in your spa is like 40 people in your pool. You need to treat it after each use.

I'm trying to find a more long term solution?

I don't think you understand what ozone does (or doesn't do in the case of this spa). Ozone is an oxidizer, like shock, and burns off combined chlorine then free chlorine in the water. You will use more chlorine with ozone, but will not need to shock to get rid of cc and the chemical smell it gives you. It does not sanitize the water, even in a modern tub, because it only oxidizes the water it contacts and does not establish a residual in the water. So it cleans some water and returns it to a dirty tub. Any pathogens in the tub go on reproducing exponentially while being destroyed a bit at a time. 

To produce the oxygen atom (01) the ozone (03) that was created by uv exposure must break down, which takes time. If the ozone is not in contact with the water when it breaks down it does not oxidize the water. Instead it builds up under the cover and breaks down there, oxidizing the cover instead.

• Like 1