Indoor hot tub sitting for 10 years

Hi. There is a Thermospa (unsure of model) locally that we are going to look at. The control unit has 1900D on it. This unit has been indoors it’s whole life but it was drained 10 years ago and hasn’t been used since. Any idea of what potential issues this could cause.  I would imagine any gaskets would be dried out and probably some bacteria from any water that was left in the lines. Just wondering if this would be more of a hassle than it’s worth.  Any potential issues this would cause to the pump or heater?  

1 hour ago, TallguyDoug said:

.  Any potential issues this would cause

You are likely to have gasket issues, as you said, which means leaks at the every jet and suction, as well as unions and pumps. And let's not forget valves. Shaft seals are probably bad too. Motors might be siezed up. Heater is almost certainly bad. Pressure switch is definitely bad. If it has a blower, that's going to scream like a banshee, if it runs at all. 

The controls might still work, but I wouldn't count on it. Relays that haven't fired in 10 years tend to stick.

Used spa rule #1: See it running.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TallguyDoug said:

Wow, thanks for the advice and quick reply.  I think we’ll pass on this one. 

That's a wise decision - always see the spa running before you buy. 

Tip - professionals watch the classifieds for deals on used tubs to flip and resell for a profit.  You *can* get a deal shopping used, but you have to know what to look for and watch the classifieds daily, sorting by recently-listed.  If a tub has been sitting on the classifieds for a week+, it's either garbage or overpriced and not worth your time. 

I usually see a good deal on a functioning spa for less than $3k or $4k in my local classifieds once a month, sometimes more often.

• Thanks 1