Pool Liner Clarification

Fubar

Hello all, first time post.

I'm toying with the idea of building a DIY pool (4x1.5m 1.5m deep - partially in ground). Tossing around pros and cons of shipping container, wood, concrete, brick... etc

The thing that's stumped me is liners. I've found stores that sell liners by the sqm, but all guides I've read say 'Liners must be the rights size or they will wrinkle' implying they are formed to a shape. Is this the case, or are they used more like pond liners? How would one manage the corners if it's a flat sheet?

I'm not 100% set on a liner and may opt for paint depending on settled construction, but I would like to get my head around how the liners are sized/fitted/folded/sealed... etc

Cheers,

Fubar

Yes, liners are seamed and made to fit the shape of the pool. Measuring a pool liner is very precise, painstaking work if you want it to fit. I measured one that was shaped like a mickey mouse head, all curved slopes on the bottom. Nightmare. A simple rectangle should be easy, but a pond liner will not work without folds, not just wrinkles.

I would advise that you purchase an above ground pool. By the time you buy everything you will need, spend a bunch of time putting it together, and work out all the issues along the way (and there will be issues) you will have spent more money, time, and frustration and will have a problematic pool for your trouble. Buy a pool designed to be a pool. I got a soft side metal frame el cheapo from wally world for a few hundred bucks, it's in it's second year with 0 problems.

Ahhh, wow, I don't envy the Mickey Head. Thankfully I am only after a rectangle and would go for an off the shelf but....
1) The space I've got to put it in means the OTS ones I've seen are either just too big or too small
2) I want something a bit more heavy duty than an inflatable or framed one
3) I don't want to pay the premium (Yea, yea, I know, fools errand) for a rigid above ground unit
4) I'm good with my hands and an experienced DIYer including plumbing, wiring, building, plastering... etc
5) I want a deeper pool, but without it coming up too high so I can deck it out of season.
6) I'm planning to integrate a firepit / solar hybrid heater
7) I get to say "I made that" ;)

My current plan is a 1/3 submerged concrete block build (blocks layed flat), optionally rendered inside, then paint with an epoxy or rubber paint. I'll then clad the outside to cover pipes and provide outdoor lighting with a retractable deck panel over the top. My only outstanding query is if I could use aerated concrete blocks to improve the thermal stability of the water or whether they won't provide enough strength.