Water seems spicy!

Zachp

Hi all, I’ve been having an issue with my hot tub lately (past 3 fills) where after 1.5 to 2 months the water becomes “spicy” where you sit in it and can’t help but cough. Also when I open the lid and put the jets on, just being around it you’ll cough; hence the spicyness. 

I use a metal cone when starting up with fresh water and the Frog startup pack. I use the Frog floating system on level 3 for chlorine and the rest strips all read accurate. I also use Renew ever other week. 

My wife and I use the tub about 3-4 times per week, sometimes less. We don’t shower before entering but at the test strips still read good from keeping up with the chems. When I replace water all is good for 1.5 to 2 months and then back to the spicy water. 

any suggestions? 

Chemical fumes are typically chlorine byproducts (chloramines, combined chlorine) that are left over after the chlorine does it's thing. You shock to get rid of them.

If this is a recent development, I would say your ozone has gone out or you have a biofilm. 

Post a complete set of test results (including free chlorine and total chlorine). What is your maintenance routine? How often do you shock and with what?